Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Fly tying bench project.

My friend is a pretty skilled woodworker, and looking for a project to kill time and maybe make some money, and I suggested a fly tying bench. He said that if I could find anyone interested, we will make one up, to specs offered by you.

Anyone interested in one?

Interesting offer ... but ...

1) Without some idea of his skill level, no one could say yes or no.

2) I would not be interested, since I do my own wood work projects.

image.jpg

A pic of a gun cabinet he built. Needed glass and wood stain when I took this pic, but it's done now and sold. He is very talented, and almost a natural when it comes to working with his hands.

Pretty good wood working skills your friend has...He will always have a way to make some money on the side which is always good in today's time!

The doors on the gun cabinet seem to open the wrong way.

But this is from an unskilled person who can't square a cut.

i'm not interested

i'd rather stick to someone i know personally and can actually see their work up close

'almost a natural' scares me :)

'almost a natural' scares me :)

Well I don't know anyone that can pick up any tool with absolutely no help and know exactly how it works, what it does, and how to use it safely and properly. But he has learned very quickly under the instruction of our Ag teacher and blossomed into a skilled woodworker.

Also the doors being the wrong way, that's because the hardware (hinges, locks, etc...) wasn't in place yet but he wanted to show it had doors lol :)

Nothing against your friend Fisherboy but unless we could see the jointery and fit issues between adjacent boards, it's difficult to tell the skill level. Do you know what I mean? It looks good overall but like flytire said, it's good to see such work up close.

Young man appears to have talent and motivated to work with his hands when soooo many younguns today would prefer to sit and play with their devices than actually do something useful and constructive and maybe get their little hands dirty.

Don't pay any attention to the naysayers. Thumbs up for your buddy.

I would guess that down your way fly tying benches might be a little more difficult to peddle. But rod cases, fly boxes, or other small items are fairly inexpensive to ship. Here is a nice example of a rod case http://sillwooddesign.com/cases.html . There are tons of images of wooden fly boxes if you search them on google. Don't underestimate how difficult some of these little boxes are, there is some pretty complex joinery in some of them, like the ones with "frames" of lighter or darker wood than the front panel. They are fun projects to build and done well look excellent and should be pretty easy to sell.

The gun case looks like it's made from plywood. Working with solid wood is quite a bit different. I really like kennebec12's idea, start small, try a small hand crafted fly box. As time goes on, learn inlay and mosaics and he could do well on here. Practice with light, dark and red woods and simple patterns to start, then build up to intricate inlays and mosaics of custom design and he's got a trade. I would love to see a starter box, and possibly be open to a purchase.

Blane