Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
branden_fritzemeier_67

Mountain Stream Flies

So I am going up camping next week into the mountains. There is a lake and a very good fishing creek that flows out of it. I was wondering what all you western guys have success with in high mountain lakes and streams/creeks.

Higher you get, the less picky the fish are, typically. Any standard pattern will work, although if I have to pick a particular pattern, I like ants especially on high mountain streams.

What country and area/state tells me more. Some areas high mountain water has little bug life. I have fished very cold clear acidic water that only had scuds and dragon flies.

6900 is actually not that high. You should be able to find a lot of what you would at lower elevations. But if it's a popular place, the pressure from high numbers of anglers might make catching an issue. I've run into this problem on my travels (like right now) and I'd recommend subsurface offerings to beat the pressure. Try topwater hoppers and other terrestrials, but if you aren't getting attention, go subsurface.

Good luck.

A lot of your standard attractor patterns work well--at least in our Sierra mountains, and I've fished up to 11,000 ft. Royal Wulff, Elk Hair Caddis, Adams, and Stimulator, if you're going for the top. Subsurface, Pheasant Tail nymph, Copper John, Bird's Nest, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, and soft hackles are all fish catchers. Have fun, and enjoy the view. Trout don't live in ugly places :-)

I found PMD and BWO worked as dries for Brookies and Grayling in Montana mountain streams near Idaho border. In lakes scuds, dragonfly larva, red and orange bodied soft hackles and a very sparse Thunder Creek BND were great.

I love fishing beetles and humpy patterns - size 12-16 in high mountain lakes. The ones I fish are over 10,000 feet