Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sammothner

Fish id help

I was fishing last weekend with my dad in the nottley river in north ga and we kept seeing some big (20-30") fish that looked like grayling. Where they some sort,of,sucker? Got broken off my 2 so don't have any pics to look at but from standing on the rocks and,casting to them I thought they were grayling without the fin. Long skinny body not,like a carp with a forked tail that,looked reddish in the shore. Hope this helps. Any tips on catching them would be appreciated

Thanks,

Sam

quFA5P.jpg

Did it look anything like this? Because it sounds almost like a whitefish. The above one is a med size whitefish I caught 2 years ago which looked very much like a grayling without a dorsal. There are around 50 different species of whitefish so if it was long, skinny, with a forked tail and looked somewhat like a grayling then it sounds like it might be some sort of the whitefish family perhaps.

Steve

I've never seen a whitefish in Kentucky. What is the southern part of their range? I caught a few in Idaho. I thought they were neat. My guide said they were a trash fish but I thought they were kinda cool. I read an article on smoking them have you tried them this way?

I'm not sure how far they range to be honest Dan. I had thought originally here in Michigan that they were only in the Great Lakes in our state, but that one I caught was actually in a section that is blocked from the lake by five dams, so I don't really know off hand what their range is.

Far as taste they are FAR from a trash fish. Whitefish is right up there with Perch and Walleye. Very clean and tender white meat.

I don't think whitefish range this far south. The size is a giveaway, if they're 20" fish and not trout, they're some sort of sucker. If they're red, they're probably redhorse suckers. Which assumes they're not hybrid bass or stripers.

A few years back, they were (and may still be) thought to left GA waters and anglers were asked to report catching them. Maybe they've reintroduced them.

My personal experience with redhorse is that they are good fighters...bulldoggers, not spectacular. But they pull...they are strong. I've caught all mine in MN and WI. Cheers, Ed

vEZgGc.jpg

Okay, then did it look like this one then? lol. This is a big 28-30" redhorse I just got last month.

Yep that what most looked like. I think there might also be black redhores suckers ( with the river redhorse. The hooch down here in ATL has a population of redhorse.