Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WITroutbum

Lucky Find

So the youngest has been asking for a beater Mountain Bike, and low and behold I found one on the local CL tonight. Went to pick it up and the guy ended up being one of those that buy entire estates. Well, the wife ran to the bank and the boy and I rummaged around with the guy in his "warehouse" of goodies. Ended up picking up a complete Orvis Fly tying kit for $40, and 2 Bamboo Fly Rods. The hackles included were well worth the price, and some additional tools, materials, threads and hooks are always nice! I was more excited about the Kit than the rods, but anyhow just goes to show, you never know what your gonna find! Off to the bench to organize these new goodies..... and then research the rods.

You are exactly right....I stop at estate and garage sales all the time. Congratulations!

Good show! if you aren't particularly interested in the bamboo rods, maybe you can flip them to some collector member on this site, and recoup some of your forty bucks. I'd offer if I didn't have so many other expenses.

Nice!! If the materials have been sitting for a long time check and make sure there aren't any visitors in them. You can always put picks of the rods on the Rod Making forum here or the Classic Fly Rod Forum to see if you got some good ones.

I love Flea Markets and estate sales - a lot of times here in Vermont smaller stuff at estate sales is put out as a yard sale type set-up and guys will skip looking, just that much better for me!!!

The Material Is all good! WOOT! It was all still sealed and this kit was literally brand new in an opened Box. The rods, One is a Montegue and the other is a crazy Fly Fishing, Spinning Rod Combo. I will throw some line on them and see how they perform. My middle son has claimed them already...LOL.

Yup, yard sales and flea markets are good for finding deals. I found a Sage One 9ft 6inch 5 weight for $300 bucks at a yard sale, with original rod sock and tube.