Fly Tying
mikechell

Get your road kill, while you can.

First, the fashionistas went after top quality hackle, to use for hair decorations.

Now, I just heard this morning, there's a woman trying to market road kill fur clothing.

It's called "accidental fur" ... "All the pleasure of wearing furs, without any of the guilt."

If you use road kill furs for fly tying, or are planning to try it, don't pass a single "fresh" kill. before long, there might be "collectors" working for the fur companies, grabbing up everything they can.

I see a lot of road kill but hadn't given it much thought. I wonder when a skunk or possum coat will become fashionable. I'm just waiting for some of the synthetics to hit the fashion industry...imagine a hottie in a Krystal Flash skirt...

Being a trapper, I see this going nowhere. A large percentage if road kill is so badly mangled that the fur isn't of a garment making quality. It's hard enough to get garment quality fur by trapping down here, they'd never do it with road kill.

If they can sell jeans with holes in the knees they can sell mangled fur coats. The price will be high and the numbers low so they won't be selling tons of the stuff.

If they can make coats from Ermine, then the small amounts of fur salvageable from road kill won't be a problem. An Ermine provides about a hand span's worth of fur ... takes a ton of them to make a single coat.

Road kill furs would appeal to the growing numbers of "green" people who still like fur, but are against killing. You might be right ... it probably won't go anywhere.

I just said recently that I see a lot of roadkills up in NC.... but the only thing I ever see is groundhogs. except for the occasional deer (about one per year).

I'm still waiting for someone to hit one of those silver laced wyandottes that keep getting over the fence.

I used to always carry a bag of Borax, rubber and nitrle gloves, several gallon ziplock bags and an Xacto knife set in car until Dexter became popular...............

There is a lot of good fly tying material available from roadkill. I have seen many fox, a multitude of raccoons and many coyotes deceased.

but leave it to Mikechell to be following the roadkill futures market.........

but leave it to Mikechell to be following the roadkill futures market.........

You a funny guy !!!

I just heard it on the radio. BUT ... if it takes off ... there's going to be a serious uptick on the number of roadkills in my area. It'll amazing how many animals will get run over buy vehicles with bullet shaped stud on their wheels.

I can't imagine the folks pumping happy free-range chickens will be gonzo about road-killed fur, but hey- maybe. In college I'd go out a couple times each winter and pick up raccoons, possums, the occasional red or gray fox and coyote- still have a lot of that stuff and it's a great source of material, but pretty grubby and a little sketchy. As tough as it is paying for gas while running trap lines, though...I can't imagine cruising highways for crushed furbearers would be that profitable.

I was riding in a truck with my nephew and his daughter and son. We were coming home from picking them up at school. There was a dead Grey Squirrel in the road that wasn't there when we left. We stopped the truck and I jumped out and cut off the tail. My great niece started crying. When I asked her why she was crying, she said, "He won't have a tail when he gets to heaven, and the other squirrels will make fun of him". I never felt so bad in my life.

I'm thinking a couple of jackets for my daughters. Something in a nice porcupine fur that they could wear on dates until they're 18. Actually, I guess about 10 years late for that but one in particular could have used a porcupine coat.