Fly Tying

Ok guys I just received my Christmas present to myself, a new 5w tfo signature series 2 fly rod 2pc 9' that I won on ebay for $50 its a really nice looking rod feels great in the hand.

I know saltwater reels, what I dont know is freshwater reels, id like to match it up with something in the 6weight size so I can get a little backing on it as we have some nice size fish around here, bass in the 10lb plus range and huge alligator gar.

Anyway im thinking about over lining with a 6 weight as far as a reel id like something close to the $100 mark new or used any recommendations?

Any recommendations on a warm water line in that weight?

I know this subject has been discussed some. But drag was never a concern in those conversations to me it is.

Thanks guys

Oops, I misspoke before on the Lamson Liquid--the reel with one spool is $99--for the "3-Pak" (reel with 3 spools) it's $159. Still a good deal in my opinion.

I got an STH Cayuga for a nice price when the Cortland Factory Store was closing and really like this reel. I put a lot of hours on it since the spring with no complaints.

Oops, I misspoke before on the Lamson Liquid--the reel with one spool is $99--for the "3-Pak" (reel with 3 spools) it's $159. Still a good deal in my opinion.

I just had a liguid in my hand yesterday, very light my concern is it is a cast frame so durability is my concern, the guru 2 I can pick up for like $30 more and its machined now is the $30 justified based on that alone?

I am sold on the lamson reels the drag is sweet and I like that i can take it with me lightweight redfishing in the salt, now liquid or guru 2??

I have several of these rods that I use for student rods for casting classes and I'll take one of them fishing ever so often. They're a fun rod to fish.

I use 6 wt lines on them for classes to help beginning casters load the rods at shorter distances, but l fish these rods with 5 wt lines. They have an easy action that doesn't really need to be up lined in most situations. If you're planning to cast heavy flies short distances or weighted multi-fly nymph rigs or some other similar technique then you may want to consider up lining the rod, but depending on your casting experience you may not need to up line the rod.

For a general purpose line, I've been using one of TFO's $40 fly lines with them and I've been very happy with the performance the line.

I have a couple of the Guru 3's. They have been knocked around under heavy usage and they are none the worse for wear. I don't know if the Liquid is as durable or not.

If you can get a Guru for only $30 more I would say that's a wise choice over the Liquid, especially if strength/durability is a concern. I didn't realize you could get the Guru for $130--that's a good deal.

Yea there discontinued now so several places have them. Durability is definitely a concern. As I may just try to put a line class record in the books this year.

I love my lamson liquids, I have be the heck out of those reels on rocks, trees, boats, etc. One even survived a white water incident when the rod was destroyed and the drag in the liquid is the same at their higher prices reels. But a quick favorite for me is the redington behemoth, holds a good bit of backing and the drag is just beastly. it also runs in your $100-130 price range. As far as line goes, just use a tropical line and you will be fine

If you're concerned about durability - spend a few bucks more and check out the lighter end of the reels that Nautilus offers. If you have the slightest question, call them directly, you'll find that everyone there uses their reels and knows them from stem to stern (particularly if you're also planning on trips to the salt with that light rod...).

I currently have four or five Nautilus reels for 8wt all the way up to 12's and can't say enough good things about them.