Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New rods at Christmas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

For Christmas I was a good boy.  I had a Greencaddis Ruby River 7' 8" 4wt under the tree.  Since the temprature was on the mid 40's I grabbed the reel for my 4wt bamboo and went out to play in the yard.

This fiberglass rod is full flex but yet has enough backbone to shoot a respectful amount of line.  I have the feeling this will be a real nice dry fly rod on the trout streams I fish.  It will also do nicley for bluegill.  Not sure about smallmouth, we will have to give it a go.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Of course it will work for small mouth, just depends what you try and throw for flies. I bet it's enjoyable ! Oh and congrats ( even if a bit late)!!

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 sindyciaray

sindyciaray

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

EDITED

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

sindyciaray ... you're first post, if you ARE a new member, is inappropriate.  It's a link to an unknown site, from an unknown member.  It has been reported.  

If you ARE a legit member, then please make your introductions and let us get to know you before posting links or offering items for sale. (requires at least 40 posts before selling on the "trading floor")

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis