Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Deployed soldier need sponsor for fly tying material

Spanish wet fly Leon stonefly material Feathers Herl vise CDC pheasant partridge

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Roland58

Roland58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

The only thing I have to question is why you are still a PFC? I was in the Army many moons ago and made E-5 after 1 1/2 yrs. In my last year (3 rd) I held an E-7 position and was offered E-6 to stay in (re-enlist), with the promise of E-7 within a year. When I was in you could move up if you just kept your nose clean (stayed out of trouble). Not insinuating anything.

What material do you need the most? I will share some of what I have plenty of. And thank you for you service. Another question, where do you fish in the middle of a desert?

Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke, when the smoke escapes they will no longer work.

#17 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

LOL ... when were you in, Roland?  

Rank has been a bit harder than that to attain for some time.  Back in the early 80's, when I started, it took 4 years before I made E-5 ... and that was re-enlistment incentive.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

Good for you guys to reenlist.

I made E-5 in 2.5 years but no incentive was likely to keep me in after completing my four. Just got tired of being lied to and screwed over. If you know what I mean. It was great to get those three stripes but have to say I think it's the worst rank in the army after E1. LOL

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#19 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

I was in in the early 80's and took me a little over 5 yrs to get E5.Could have been quicker but the army kept putting freezes on E3 and Spec4 rank.Claimed there were too many and no promotions till some of them moved up.We all knew it was BS but what can you do?A lot of guy's got held back because of this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#20 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

I'm like my father- wouldn't give a million dollars for the experience or a nickel for another minute.  I was discharged 3Dec1969.  Dad was discharged January, 1946.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#21 Prybis

Prybis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

It all depends on your MOS in the army. I was  77F Petroleum Supply and only made E4 in 10 years. With the reduction, I got paid to get out. At the same time I knew Tankers and Infantry that made E5 in 18 months.

Mike P.

#22 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Back in the 60's they had the NCO schools where you could make E-6 in just a few weeks.  They were called Shake-N-Bake NCOs.  I left as a PFC- proud freaking civilian.

John Torchick

#23 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

wow, people trying to compare today's Military service to what it was like in the 60s, 70s, or 80s is like trying to compare today's phones to phones in the 60s, 70s, or 80s....  Yes you can still call your Mom on one, but everything else is a whole hell of a lot different. I left in 2008 after 21+ years, when it wasn't as much fun anymore.   That and I knew I needed to be there for my son who was 8 at the time... I didn't want to miss big chunks of those years with him.

the gales of November remembered...

#24 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

JS, I knew an USAF veteran of 26 years who had the same thoughts.

John Torchick

#25 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:43 PM

I don't regret a single minute of those years.  I spent, literally, the best years of my life serving something much larger and more important than me.  But hey, everything has it's time.  Nothing can compare with leading a motivated team of highly skilled people through difficult missions and coming home good in the end.  It was definitely my professional pinnacle which I won't see again as a civilian.  That's balanced against being as good of a Dad as I can be to a teenage son in this day and age- being present to do it. 

I don't seem to have any more time to fish now than I did then..... which sucks.

the gales of November remembered...

#26 Dosix

Dosix

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

Well in the army the promotions all depends of your unit, in my unit the promotions and AAM's not matter how hard you work goes always for who is more friend of the PSG or higher ranks. It's kinda weird see soldiers that they were e1 and now are Spc and you still a Pfc when you started as a e2. Well now I gave up I really don't care the rank, yes it's 100$ more at the end of the month, but for sure I'm don't want to get promotions for kissing asses. I just do my job the best I can and I nobody tells me how to do it. My SGT told me that the soldier of the month wasn't aproove for me and then I knew the person that was approve and I have to roll my eyes. Come on!!! Then he told me that he will try for this month, I told him SGT thank you, don't stress about it, I really don't need that somebody give me a paper to know that I do my job. Besides if they give to somebody that didn't earn it what is the point for them to give it to me next month, it will mean nothing to me. sometimes it's a pony show.
The best attitude is give 200% at work and expecting nothing from them = 0% chances of disappointment.

I don't regret the army at all. it's a life experience and I believe that it will good if it's mandatory so the kids can learn some manners and values that in the normal world will never learn.

The army of today is soft I said it since I went to basic training and I said now. Sometimes I see little hearts nothing to compare with the soldiers that were In WWII or Vietnam those are the heroes for me. Those are my motivation everyday, take care what they built.

#27 elderbarry

elderbarry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Dosix, send me your mailing address (compete) and I will see that you get enough "stuff" to make yourself enough flies that you can share with all your soldiers!  My email address is: elderbarryl@yahoo.com

#28 thinkingredneck

thinkingredneck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

Please post your address or send to jdpdvm@gmail.com
I agree with every known theory of fly design... John Geirach

#29 Roland58

Roland58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

LOL ... when were you in, Roland?  

Rank has been a bit harder than that to attain for some time.  Back in the early 80's, when I started, it took 4 years before I made E-5 ... and that was re-enlistment incentive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Mike,

Sorry it took so long to answer, I just now saw your question (I'm not much on forums, mostly a "lurker").     I was in from 1967 to 1970, the "good" years for Nam, har.     I was pretty safe where I was and the fact that I was in artillery.   The really scary stuff was having to leave our camp for some reason.    I was going to send this cat a little of what I have (which isn't much), but, I have yet to see an address!

Hook a big one,

R

Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke, when the smoke escapes they will no longer work.

#30 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

I went in the fall of 1969.  I made $126 as an E-1.  Now the pay is $1500 plus bennies.  Don't know of any job that has gone up 1200%.  Been there, done that, didn't like it.

John Torchick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spanish wet fly, Leon, stonefly, material, Feathers, Herl, vise, CDC, pheasant, partridge