Fly Tying
PJ2

1494 1/2 DA Medalist

Just picked up a 1492 1/2 DA Medalist for ten bucks! in excellent shape with a spare spool and original box. got home and changed the wind for me as I am a lefty. I Know it from what I have researched it is a 1942 -1950 model. almost dont want to fish with it, but i gotta. its going on a 1950 bamboo... I have issues i Think.

Old Pfluegers aren't collector's reels. They're meant to be fished.

To really be authentic, though, you need a Martin or Shakespear automatic....

Nice find, enjoy!

1492 1/2 was the very first fly reel I started out with back 26 yrs ago. Like phg said they aren't collectors by any means, usually can get them for around $20 or there abouts. ...$10 with spare spool is a good deal. Fish it and enjoy it.

Thanks Guys. I love the new equipment that's available today on the market, but somehow fishing with older stuff gives me a charge ( if that makes any sense). I have a bamboo (Vom Hoff) that is a turn of the 20th century and I am in the middle of restoring it. It is a skittering rod 3 piece15' I do plan to use it when it is complete for the salmon run in Oswego, New York. I will transform the rod to two rods one 11' and one into a ten ft. ( it came as a five piece set each 5 ' long) If not this year, then next year. I also have a super rare ROUND not hexagon aluminum/ steel alloy two piece from pre WW2 ( Jack Benson design made by Kaufman mfg co. Manitowoc, Wis). that I dont know what to do with. It needs three guides. Part of me wants to restore it. and the other part wants to mount it on my office wall. I'll figure that out at a later time. but i love the older stuff as i said before.

Old Pfluegers aren't collector's reels. They're meant to be fished.

To really be authentic, though, you need a Martin or Shakespear automatic....

Nice find, enjoy!

Ive seen those reels and have never bought them I figured they were junk and not worth collecting...

Most old reels aren't much use except to guys like me, who like to collect old reels, lures, etc. Pflueger Medalists are a separate breed. Many of us think they were one of the best reels ever made. For marine fishing, musky/pike, and that sort of thing, they aren't advisable, but I fish for panfish and I still use a PM that I bought in 1959... good as new. I have another still in its box that I haven't ever used. yet.

Most old reels aren't much use except to guys like me, who like to collect old reels, lures, etc. Pflueger Medalists are a separate breed. Many of us think they were one of the best reels ever made. For marine fishing, musky/pike, and that sort of thing, they aren't advisable, but I fish for panfish and I still use a PM that I bought in 1959... good as new. I have another still in its box that I haven't ever used. yet.

i collect old fishing stuff as well. lures, poles, reels, bait buckets and other fishing paraphernalia. I am curious though, what is it about this particular model that makes it so long lasting and still in use today? It appears to be a well made reel, but its nothing spectacular. am I missing something here?

PJ2 I suspect everyone has their own reason... I'm sure there have been other reels that met the same criteria, but who remembers them? I'll tell you from my POV that I do not like any of the reels made now because of the exposed spool... the PM, as with other reels from the past, had its spool contained in a cage, so the spool hub was supported from both sides. I can only guess what would happen to a modern exposed spool if you dropped it on a rock. Maybe nothing bad, but I'm disinclined to spend my money to find out, as long as I have a lifetime supply of PMs.

With regard to PMs I'm not as picky or judgmental as some folks are... some people engage in discussion about the minor points of comparison between the PM models, but I only judge in terms of things I require, and there's nothing about any PM that I can find any fault with. They were a well-made reel that didn't cost a fortune, that did the job, and obviously lasted a long time.

I've got a 1494 now and have had several. I like them fine. They came new set up for a RH retrieve, which what I stared off on and is how I've always used. And I'm right handed. Ten bucks is a great deal.

I was afraid That me using this reel would have caused some of the members a coronary. I'm glad I was wrong. I greatly appreciate the advice of those who commented. I will refrain from using it in salt water though. I imagine it will be a workhorse for me this year and years to come. I have already downloaded proper care and the manual for spare parts in case i ever need to do such work. I may even try to find another Medalist as a backup.