Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ebfreeman_78

Fenwick Aetos vs. TFO BVK

Good afternoon,

I am looking to buy a new fly rod and I'm sorry for bringing this question to you all as I'm sure you are tired of getting it over and over again. Alas, I have read through Yellowstoneangler.com and their 2015 and 2016 5wt shootout. And am really considering the Fenwick Aetos 9' 5 wt., but have heard that Fenwick's warranty policy leaves some to be desired. They list the Aetos as a limited lifetime warranty, but I can't find any more details about it. Does anyone know about this warranty? I was recommended to go with a TFO BVK, but the price difference is substantial. 190 for the fenwick and 300 for the bvk. I primarily will be fishing on lake taneycomo in branson using and indicator and midges. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

In the section discussing warranties, that Yellowstone Angler article states Fenwick has a lifetime warranty with a 35 dollar replacement cost. Rods are replaced not repaired.

I would highly recommend that you check out www.midwestcustomflyrods.com. The owner/builder is on this forum and he does outstanding work for very reasonable prices. He can probably hook you up with a very good-performing custom rod in your price range, and, as a bonus, he'll make it look better than anything coming out of a factory. Lots of folks on here have purchased rods from him and had very good things to say about them. He just did a custom cork grip (he turns his own) for one of my rods and I couldn't be happier with it. The next finished rod that I buy will be one of his.

I second Bryon's suggestion. Steeldrifter (www.midwestcustomflyrods.com) if you aren't in a hurry to get a rod.

You don't mention a price range but the Aetos is around $200.00. If you can get to anything like Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's or a similar fly fishing store, try out the rods they have there. If the price is too high ... Figure out which rods you like the best, find out what blank it's built on, then contact Steeldrifter. See what kind of price he can provide.

I, on the other hand, am a cheap-ass. I've got 2 of Steeldrifter's rods and I love them both ... but I took advantage of his offers on the "trading floor" for both of them. For my other rods, I've got BPS "Dogwood Canyons", "Buggers" and "Intruders". All of those rods go for $50 to less than $100. They're good rods ... other than the veneer peeling off the handles. It doesn't effect the performance, just the looks.

The BVKs reputation is well earned. I purchased the 9' 5wt in late October. I think the price was and still is $260 which puts it at the low end, price wise, of high performance rods. TFO keeps the cost down by using average quality cork and not providing a tube. Add a tube for another $30. The reel seat on the 5wt BVK is nothing to write home about but does the job while keeping the weight down. I was looking for a 6wt but after reading the "shootout" mentioned above I went with the 5wt. The reason being that the BVK 5wt is almost a 6wt. This is the perfect rod (for me) for pond fishing, float tubing for trout. There are custom builders on the big auction site and elsewhere that will build a rod for less on the BVK blank with nicer quality cork and reel seat.

I own a few custom rods so here is my opinion on the tradeoffs. I had a custom loomis IMX 9wt explode on a fish (probably my fault). The builder was lucky enough to get a new blank. He stood behind his work so no labor costs but it was still close to $80 in shipping, good cork rings are out of sight cost wise, and components. I was without the rod for 6 weeks during prime time. I love that rod. I had a St Croix 8wt explode on me and they replaced it in about 8 days at a minimal cost. If my TFO has an accident I am lucky enough that a 2 hour drive gets me a replacement. The resale on factory rods is also kinder.

I know nothing about the Fenwick. The brand was popular 30+ years ago, especially with fiberglass. They used to be a big player but have a much smaller share of the market these days.

As a builder I have had the pleasure of building on many blanks over the last six years. The BVK is SOLID both as a blank and as an over the conter rod. I have quite a few guide friends who use them for their clients because, as I was told, they are simply workhorses that can take a beating. The warranty on them is solid, fast turn around, and the service as cheap as they come (25 or 30 bucks if i remember right) I have not owned a BVK but do have several TFOs in my collection...you cannot go wrong choosing that as a production rod

I have never had any rod explode on me in 60 years of fishing. I had one fragment not realizing the spare tire in the back of my truck jumped on it. It fragmented into opening and reclosing shards of graphite when I casted after a rough ride on dirt roads from one location to the next and it did not look broken when at rest. I had two with broken tips from car doors, in 60 years of fishing. In order to fulfill a Sage warranty these days you have to pay something on the order of $50 for handling and pay for shipping out to them. So it's not really a free warranty . I think the St Croix warranty is similar but around $35 for handling.

It is true that custom rods have no great worth or perhaps "extra appeal" on resale. Hopefully ( I build my own and generally love what I build) anyone getting a custom rod will really love it and not want to sell it. A custom rod should exhibit a look and feel you just want to own and cast and have components of your desire . And it should perform up to your specification, that's all part of why it is "custom".

Nothing wrong with TFO. For a production rod they are probably the best bang for the buck out there in fly shops. With that said I still think $260 is overpriced for it because I know the cost of the parts they use on those rods and they are just not the quality that justifies that price tag in my opinion, but that's just my own personal opinion. If you are after an over the counter rod then I agree with Nate and would say the TFO is what you should get. I've built on a number of TFO blanks and they are a good feeling rod. Can't comment on the Fenwick as I have never built or cast that exact one from them.

Just to address a few things about custom rods/builders though. Johnny had mentioned he was without his rod for 6 weeks during repair, and that good cork is super high priced these days. That all depends on who you decide to use as a builder. Talk to your builder about repairs, timeframe, etc etc before you decide to go with someone. The majority of repairs I get from my customers will have their rods back in there hands within about 2 weeks most times and at a very minimal cost. Also once you have been in the business for a long time you know where/who to use for quality cork at a good price. While there are some places that charge $2.50 per half inch ring of flor cork, there are still some that are very reasonable as well. Case in point is the following grip I just turned last week for an upcoming build. There is zero filler in this grip, and the cork is as close to Flor grade as you will find on the market anywhere today. Price I charged the customer for the grip below (including labor)- $35.

With that said I feel a person should get what they are comfortable with. I'll never push a custom rod on someone. Some people are just more apt to want to by a rod from a shop and that is fine. Everyone should buy what they are comfortable buying IMO.

grip_zpswccgawhl.jpg

Steve - I've read some builders are paying way more than 2.50 per ring and they are buying in bulk of 100 and selecting only the best. I would say the person that got that grip got a steal. I own a bunch of rods that I assembled, four or five that are custom and some factory rods. I consider all bamboo to be custom if it was made in the last 30 years. After assembling a rod from a bamboo blank and gluing up 1/4" rings I use the word "build" less frequently. Custom rods are special. Oh - the 6 weeks at the time was due to sourcing a 9wt imx blank. To get right back on the water I got a TFO TICRx which is my least favorite rod.

I too highly recommend going with a rod from Steeldrifter (midwest custom fly rods) I recently purchased my first high end fly rod from him and the build quality is phenomenal the components are all great I'm sure to get the same thing with the same reel seat or similar would've been far more expensive.

For custom rods, go look at Steve's website. I also build but he has been building for years and has excellent quality. Custom? Go with Steve.

The only thing I have seen and heard about tfo rods is their rods are the most returned rods because of breakage,they are thin wall blanks.I personally would not own a tfo rod,my opinion,my choice.

If everyone keeps singing Steve praises ... he's going to need a "big head containment system" like Chris Penn was modeling here.

Thank you gentlemen for the opinions. I agree with you guys that Steve's work is truly a thing of beauty. I really wish I had been checking back before Christmas because that was a really great buy that was on the website, and a really good looking rod. Although it really probably wouldn't have mattered since it was just before Christmas.

Thanks again

Ben

Ben, this wouldn't make for too bad a midge rod on lakes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGE-XP-590-4-GRAPHITE-IIIe-9-FLY-ROD-/391430565313?hash=item5b23146dc1

I own one in 8-1/2 ft , always wished I had bought the 9 ft version. But none the less it's caught many a fish on small flies, has some punch for the cast and forgiveness to hold the fish. It's a great older design, classic blank with good performance.