Fly Tying
flytire

tiemco adjustable magnetic bobbin

Very little information on Google yet. I would like to see one to see how it works. I am very sceptical about it though.

I have never thought, "Hmm this bobbin tube could do with being shorter / longer." Why make it adjustable? That strikes me as being a solution looking for a problem.

There is much more metal on this bobbin than the standard TMC's I use. They just have to be heavier. This means a higher tension on the thread just to enable the bobbin holder to hang. I would suspect that the range of tension is adjustable from tight to very tight.

Then there is the question of will this bobbin spin? Spinning the bobbin to control the twist in the thread is an important part of fly tying. It is often said you can tell how good a fly tier is by how much they spin the bobbin. It looks like they have made a nod in this direction, but the pictures show that there is much more metal on one side than the other.

Couple those problems with the price, £41:63 here, and I doubt I will be getting one to see. I don't have that kind of disposable income.

Looking around on that site they have another new bobbin, of a more standard design.

80x80__upload_groups_group_1570_1.jpg

http://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/view/1570

Some of what I have mentioned above will still apply. Though, it will spin well. Even so it is twice the price of a standard TMC bobbin, I doubt it will offer anything more than standard one for the extra cost.

TMC, You'll have to do much more before I'll put my hand in my pocket!

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig wrote:

"That strikes me as being a solution looking for a problem."

That was my first thought.

I kind of like some of the features that Crackaig doesn't, such as the possible heaviness (I like a heavier bobbin) and the adjustable tube length, but completely agree about the probable unbalance the bobbin would have. That's why I have problems with some of the other popular bobbins on the market - the Rite, the Stonfo, curved bobbins, etc. I split the thread a lot and have trouble with these spinning smoothly.

And then there is the price.....

Joe

...how can you fill the wallet up, if you don't empty it first?!

True ... but "it's good to let the water heater finish before you start your shower."

Sold! I'm gonna go to the flyshop & order both! It's only money, how can you fill the wallet up, if you don't empty it first?!

Mine empties far too often and is never that full!

Still have the new scissors and I must admit they are on a whole different level to anything I've used before. I'm lucky though I got them trade price. http://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/view/116

Cheers,

C.

Sold! I'm gonna go to the flyshop & order both! It's only money, how can you fill the wallet up, if you don't empty it first?!

Mine empties far too often and is never that full!

Still have the new scissors and I must admit they are on a whole different level to anything I've used before. I'm lucky though I got them trade price. http://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/view/116

Cheers,

C.

4,000 to 5,000 yen ???

I don't have than kind of yen just lying around !!!

In fact, there are few things I give that much yen for.

Oh, wait ... is that "yen" as in "a desire for"????

As long as I have hands and opposable thumbs I will not pay more then $8.00 for a bobbin. My hands are the best adjustable tensioning system made. No gimmicks needed.

I ordered on last week (paid $80 for it, free shipping from here), and received it today... at first, while setting it up, there was no way, by following the directions, that I could get it working correctly. However, I found this site, and almost made it work... after much farkeling around with it, I found the secret:

• when you remove the magnet case and insert it into the thread spool make sure the end of the bobbin stopper is at the very end of the spool -- if it is NOT at the very end (or close to it) so you can see it, adjust the case so it is closer to the opposite opening in the spool.
  • That is the only way you are going to be able to make the magnetic force work the way it was designed.
  • if an image is needed, please let me know and I'll upload one

This might be common knowledge, but it wasn't for me, so I'm "playing it forward" so to speak. Hope it helps someone... :D

Wow! I watched the video on how to set it up, and holy cow! That's just a little too much for me.. LOL. I'd have a fly tied in the time it takes to put thread on the friken bobbin. Good ol Griffin standard bobbin for me. I always hear "Thread tension setting". Uh, I don't get it. My bobbin has boi-feedback auto tension system. When I feel it's to loose , I squeeze harder on the bobbin with my palm. LOL.... It comes natural to me. Boy , I feel so bad for those guys 30-40 years ago tying flies. How did they ever do it without all the gadgets we have today. LOL.. Fancy vises and tools don't tie flies...YOU DO!!!! BUT!!!! I got to say it looks totally cool..