Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Im back! A Transparent baitfish I call the Glass Candy

Glass Minnow Surf Candy Transparent Fry Fly Tying Small Fly Streamer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Hey guys, I just finished the ridiculously long process of moving from California to New Mexico.  I finally was able to unpack all my stuff, and setup for a quick video.  I now have a bit more room to work with in the new place, and was able to shoot with the camera over the shoulder so you can get the POV type of video. (Thanks for those who recommended this).  Sorry I have been away for over a month, I just really had many issues with this move.  We have been staying in a hotel for what seems like forever.  Anyway, now that I am unpacked, I will be back to my 1-2 video's per week schedule.  Please enjoy this new video. 

The Mc Fry Glass Candy is a variation of my Mc Fry Glass Minnow in which I epoxy up the hook shank a bit more.  I also use a few different materials as well.  This is a very realistic looking fly that is made to mimic small fry or glass minnows.  Occasionally fish will be feeding exclusively on these small fish.  When they do that, you need to get a good fry imitation out there.  I tied this to be very realistic and mimic the small fry perfectly.  

Hook:  Gamakatsu SC15 size 1/0
Thread:  Danville ultra fine monofiliment
Body wrap:  Super Pearl Braid, and Super tinsel twist
Fiber:  Super Flash Dubbing (Pearl and Holo-Silver)
Eyes:  3/32" silver eyes
Epoxy:  Solarez "thin hard" and "bone dry" formula

Music: Sunny, funnysong, ukulele - Bensound.com

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#2 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

Nice video, very informative.

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#3 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

Nice video, very informative.

Why thank you sir!

www.McFlyAngler.com

#4 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

Over a month to move from Cal to NM?  If you had moved to Florida, I guest it would have taken three or four months?  Welcome home anyway.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#5 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

I enjoyed that! Thankyou!

#6 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Over a month to move from Cal to NM?  If you had moved to Florida, I guest it would have taken three or four months?  Welcome home anyway.

I moved in a few days, and would have been fully setup very quickly however......  I put a deposit on a house to rent, got the keys, paid the first months rent, and the owner called and told me he decided to sell it, right as I was bringing the Uhaul up to the door....   and said that I cannot step foot in the house.   lol   Then I found another place, was supposed to move in on the 20th, then it got pushed back to the 28th, then the 2nd.  Its been a pretty big nightmare.  I spent over $1000 on hotels, all that the leasing company wouldnt refund (even though it was their fault).   Also, they did a few illegal things with selling a house I already moved into.  But, unless I have many thousands of dollars, I cannot hire a layer to sue them.  Oh well.  HAHA  Plus, I am kinda against suing anyway, unless its really necessary, and I don't feel that this is.  

www.McFlyAngler.com

#7 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

I enjoyed that! Thankyou!

Glad you liked it!  :)  

www.McFlyAngler.com

#8 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

Nicely done, I enjoyed this video

#9 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

I hope you got your deposit back.  I thought that was what a deposit was for.  If you didn't, take him to court.  Maybe small claims court.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#10 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:53 PM

I hope you got your deposit back.  I thought that was what a deposit was for.  If you didn't, take him to court.  Maybe small claims court.

It was just applied to our new place.  We are going through a rental agency that had many places.  I would have asked for my deposit back, except for we moved to a tiny town with only 1 rental agency, and pretty much all the homes/apartments for rent are theirs.  So as much as I wanted to come down hard on them for it, I had to have restraint because I knew I didnt want to live in a cardboard box with my family...  HAHA   

www.McFlyAngler.com

#11 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

Nicely done, I enjoyed this video

Thank you very much!  Means a lot coming from you.  

www.McFlyAngler.com

#12 FKROW

FKROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

Very nicely done video,,, more please.

One small point,, you are not using epoxy, as we commonly purchase,,, it is a UV light activated resin.

Epoxy requires two components,, the epoxy resin and a liquid hardener mixed into the base to initiate the chemical reaction.

Hope to see more videos in the future.

Regards,
FK

#13 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

Very nicely done video,,, more please.

One small point,, you are not using epoxy, as we commonly purchase,,, it is a UV light activated resin.

Epoxy requires two components,, the epoxy resin and a liquid hardener mixed into the base to initiate the chemical reaction.

Hope to see more videos in the future.

Regards,
FK

Thanks!  I am glad you liked it.  Yes I plan on making more.  I have done about 30 now so far, check out my youtube channel for the other videos.  The first few ones weren't so good, but I've tried to get better...  HAHA    

As for epoxy, yes, I know what you mean.  However some people still call it a "UV curing epoxy".  No its not technically correct, however many of the viewers would have no clue what I am talking about when I say UV resin.  I figure I should try to cater to everyone, especially the newbies.   But you brought up a good point, maybe I should explain that to further teach the people that don't know.  What is everyone else's thoughts on this?  Should I say "UV curing resin (kinda like an epoxy)"?   

www.McFlyAngler.com

#14 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Very nice video and great surf candy stye fly. The glass minnows will are showing up here now so I will copy this of sure. For the epoxy thing, I don't think it matters too much since you name the exact product you are using. However, since you are also addressing newbies, you may want to specifically state what the UV resin is and that it can be used as a substitute for epoxy on traditional epoxy fly patterns like Popovic's surf candy, various crabs, etc. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glass Minnow, Surf Candy, Transparent Fry, Fly Tying, Small Fly, Streamer