Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bucket List Fly Fishing Destinations...

best destination where to go dream location bucket list salt water fresh water top location favorite river favorite lake

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

About that, when are you allowed to give a thumbs up?

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#17 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

LOL Dave, the like button doesnt work for any of us. Thanks for the thumbs up

#18 Bruce M

Bruce M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

And here I thought it was because I was on double secret probation.

#19 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

About that, when are you allowed to give a thumbs up?

any time you think a post deserves a thumbs up but the like function is not turned on

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#20 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

Hah! When I first joined the forum I just figured it was part of the initiation process for me not to have the like function active. After say 100 posts it would surely work and then I thought "well in 3 months it will work". Finally I observed that nobody anywhere on the forum had a like ! Now that's not true anymore and this will add to the confusion. In due time we all learn there is no functioning like button.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#21 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

Kamchatka in Russia.

There, or over by the Kola Peninsula.

I'd take either one.

#22 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

1. New Zealand

After that, in no particular order...

British Columbia (Steelhead)

Bighorn/Montana

Gaspe Peninsula, Quebec (Atlantic Salmon)

Frying Pan, Colorado

Kamchatka (Steelhead)

Green/Utah

Labrador (Brook Trout)

Beaverkill/NY

Iceland (Atlantic Salmon)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#23 Dorado

Dorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

Christmas Island !!!

Hey FlatsRoamer...As your name suggests, I assume you are recommending the hard-sand flats fishing for the cruising bone fish and trevally at the Christmas Islands? I've also wondered about trying the blue water fishing for tuna?

#24 Dorado

Dorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

1. New Zealand

After that, in no particular order...

British Columbia (Steelhead)

Bighorn/Montana

Gaspe Peninsula, Quebec (Atlantic Salmon)

Frying Pan, Colorado

Kamchatka (Steelhead)

Green/Utah

Labrador (Brook Trout)

Beaverkill/NY

Iceland (Atlantic Salmon)

Fantastic list Bryon, I can tell you are either well travelled...or put a lot of thought and research into your recommendations. Sadly, the Green River in Utah is the only destination I can check off of your list.

#25 Dorado

Dorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:11 AM

I just recently started a list of the same thing, only my list is longer and all fish must be caught on fly rod.
Here's a few.
Rainbow and brown trout (im a Floridian) have this booked for north Georgia this fall.
Sailfish, south Florida or Costa Rica.
Yellow Fin Tuna, New England.
Salmon, Alaska, Canada.
Peacock Bass, South Florida.
Musky, Mid West
Marko Shark, Atlantic.
Rooster Fish, havnt decided.

This is the main ones. There are more for the same areas that are secondary on the list and some not here that ive already caught.

Comprehensive list Joseph. Shark on a fly....wow, that would be a rush! Haven't even contemplated that one. I need to broaden my fly fishing horizons.

#26 Dorado

Dorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

So as you will see on the very first post, I intend to update the growing list as they are suggested to the bucket list of fly fishing destinations. Please let me know if I have inadvertently left any location off of the list. -Dorado

#27 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:10 AM

Fish all the trout streams in the Great Smoky Mountain NP plus get another Grand Slam of rainbow, brown, and brook trout in one day.  Did it years ago and would like to do it again.  Some guys fished Abrams Creek from start to finish and took 7 years to complete.  No need to travel long distance- two hours from the house.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#28 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:02 AM

Pandora ... the planet from "Avatar".

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#29 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

The Amazon
Baby Tarpon in Florida

#30 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

You know...as an east-of-the-Mississippi US native, I've heard stories about the fishing "out west" all my life, "out west" being anything from the easter foothills of the rockies up to Alaska.  While I'd certainly like to see it all and fish it, for some reason, it's never held a terrible amount of allure for me.  Maybe it's because it's still trout fishing, but I'd enjoy just being in those places and seeing the sights far more than the actual fishing.  I wouldn't feel I'd missed out on much if I never got to extensively fish western water, and indeed I've had the chance to get in on a few group trips to both Montana and Alaska, and I've passed them up each time.

I think that for me to really get excited about trout fishing in the western US, I'd have to be relocating there for some amount of time.  I had been in the early stages of interviewing for a job that had a location close to me and a sister office in Bozeman...had that panned out, then yeah, I'd be super excited to fish that water.

Anyway, for me, bucket list would include brookies in Labrador, taimen in Mongolia, and a host of saltwater species in their prime zones, and fishing primarily determined by wanting to see the place as opposed to the fish in it: salmonids of all sorts in the British Isles, whatever's biting in Cuba, German browns in Germany, Scandinavian pike, even the trout of Iran thanks to that recent article.  Naturally due to the current world situation, I've no desire to go to Iran or Cuba, but perhaps someday things will normalize a bit...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: best, destination, where to go, dream location, bucket list, salt water, fresh water, top location, favorite river, favorite lake