Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Beat the Heat Browns

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trampus

Trampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

It's been 105+ lately here in my part of Southern California so my friend and I decided to take a drive up into the local mountains and do some creek fishing. Went to the North Fork of the San Jacinto River which is about 6000 ft. up the 11,400 ft. mountain and caught some wild brown trout. Water level was very low and the casting was challenging to say the least but we had fun and caught and released 7 trout between us. I was using a 7'6" Greys 3wt. and even though it is a fairly short rod it was a pain in the tight quarters.

IMG_1392.jpg

Parked by this guy...can't see the true perspective of its size but it was about 6' in diameter and 150' tall

IMG_1361.jpg

This was one of the bigger sections...had to sneak up and cast from cover or would spook the fish.

IMG_1350.jpg

A nine incher that fell for a dry fly.

IMG_1373.jpg

My friend releasing his first brown of the day. Almost have him convinced to give up his spin rod and try fly fishing biggrin.png

It was a fun day and made me excited about my next build which is going to be a 6'6" 2wt. rod that would be perfect for this stretch of water. As fate would have it the Blank was waiting for me when I got home with the rest of my mail biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

KAYAKTRAMPUS.gif

John Muir - Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

Now that's some small water fishing ! Nice fish too. How was the temp and water temp there ?

Good luck with your next build ! My revelation blank was black, I used a thread color called Merlot, with two turns of silver trim. As you can guess the wraps are a deep wine red. The trim is metallic, I raided the wife's sewing room and found both silver and gold in there so that in itself was a couple days worth of contemplation. Yeah, that's how fast my builds go lol !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 Trampus

Trampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

Water was cold and the air temp was probably low 80's around mid day. Sounds like you nailed it with that black blank..I'll bet it's a fine looking rod. The Revelation I got is dark blue and I am still contemplating what color thread and trim to use but I do know that I am going to try a Tiger Wrap on this one blink.png

KAYAKTRAMPUS.gif

John Muir - Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

#4 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Blue would be an odd Revelation, are you sure it's not a Rainshadow RX6 ? They are blue. If they make a blue revelation I want one !

I think the older Rainshadow RX/7 was blue too ( pre revelation).

#5 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

The Forecast RX6 blanks were blue.  Nice blank in lighter line weights, but the 9' 8wt was a bit heavy.

#6 Trampus

Trampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

I stand corrected Dave and phg....it is indeed an RX6. I was looking for a Revelation in a 4wt and had that stuck in my head. Line guides came today but still waiting on the reel seat and cork....my fingers are getting itchy!

KAYAKTRAMPUS.gif

#7 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

Well hey they are all made by Batson anyway. A lot of people like the RX6, I never fished with one but I suspect it will perform well for you.

#8 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

If it's the 6'6" 2-piece 2wt, I built one of those a couple of years ago.  Nice little rod, light and fairly quick.  It will handle either a 2wt or 3wt line.  I found it a bit too fast for 6" brook trout, but if the fish you are chasing are in the 9" to 10" range, it should work well for you. 

#9 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

Batson doesn't like to make really thin diameter rods and especially the tips. They might make thin walls in the RX7 for instance, but still put a 4.5 tip on a 4 or 5 weight. Even the butt is pretty hefty in diameter. I think that RX6 in 2 wt. has a 4.0 tip on it and .353 butt.  Time will tell how this all turns out, I hope Dan loves it !

#10 troutah

troutah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

Looks like a great, fun and satisfying way to beat the heat.  Congrats.