Fly Tying
Saltybum

West Florida vacation

Well I had three days to chase snook over at Anna Maria Island and almost got skunked. Very early morning they just were not on the beach but when going back after the beach was loaded with people they were plentiful but lock jawed. Water was beautiful, they just didn't want to play.

I think I cast just about every fly I had to over 50-60 fish from maybe 16" to well over slot some cruising in and around swimmers, sometimes just a few feet from them and I only had a few follows and just two hits. I caught just this one the last day and the last few minutes before leaving the beach for good. Afternoon storms prevented any more fishing.

post-44758-0-65912300-1469825985_thumb.jpg

Flats do you know the regs?

Thanks Adam. Those little snook are pretty.

No because I never catch snook and if I did I would throw it back. Just remember that lipping and holding fish by the gills harms the fish. The best way to hold a fish is with one hand on the tail and the other hand on the belly supporting it's weight. Just trying to throw out tips just so we can catch these guys 40 years from now. I will never gill a fish unless I am going to keep him for dinner. I am sad to say that I have lipped fish, (one peacock bass due to every fish here has some kind of teeth.) But I never will again. I hope this post will further increase conservation efforts :)

Good looking snook,man!Forget the Internet police.

Just remember that lipping and holding fish by the gills harms the fish. The best way to hold a fish is with one hand on the tail and the other hand on the belly supporting it's weight.

I am not sure where you "remember" this information from, Flats.

Holding a large fish aloft by the lip only, can do fatal damage.

Holding a fish as Salty does in the picture (Pretty fish, by the way), is not harmful to the fish.

Wiping the slime off a fish scales can cause infections, so holding a fish by the lip and the belly is no more harmful than holding one by the tail and the belly.

Nice beach snook salty. Way to stay after them. I know snook can be a strange species at times. Here at the freshwater spillways you can cast the same lure to the same spot for hours, when suddenly for 30 minutes they bite every cast. I've spent many hours waiting on that one bite and sometimes it never comes. It had to be even more frustrating seeing them all around you.

Oh ya and holding it perfect for the picture.

Flats he's supporting the fish and you can grab a snook under the gill opening and never touch the gills themselves.

Thank you for the kind words zip.

Anytime kiddo