Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Help needed with feather ID and uses.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:36 PM

I was hiking this mid July and found this feather on the trail.
I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what it is and possible uses for it.
Thanks.

Attached File  image.jpeg   84.86KB   7 downloads
Bimini15

#2 fishinorhuntin

fishinorhuntin

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

Looks like it is from a Turkey.

#3 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

It does, but it would help if you'd give us an idea of its size.  It could be from a songbird wing for all we can tell.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#4 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

Actually, without having a matched pair from each side it really is not a great find. The best chance of getting use from a single feather like is biots from the short side if they are stiff enough. 

#5 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Sorry, it really was a bit of a trick question without any extra info.

It is 10 inches long. Can't be a turkey because there are no turkeys where I found it. I found it hiking in Spain.
Based on the wildlife I observed, I am thinking it may be some kind of bird of prey, but I don't know enough to tell.

Vic,
I thought about that but I could not find one.
Bimini15

#6 fishinorhuntin

fishinorhuntin

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

Ok, well now I know it was found in Spain, I retract my Turkey suggestion! LOL It does look like a turkey feather though, especially if it is around 10 inches. It looks just like one of the feathers we got off a turkey we harvested last year. I am not familiar with the species of birds over there.

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,268 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

i have no idea what bird lost that feather but there are more uses than just biots (i dont think theres any biots on that feather)

feather fibers on the long side can be used for tails, wrapped for bodies, wing cases, legs, antennae and whatever else you can imagine.

feather fibers on the short side can be used for tails, legs, antennae

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#8 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

Perhaps muddler minnows?
Bimini15

#9 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Remember that before we started using matched pairs of feathers for wings, many flies were (and still are,) tied with folded sections of just one feather.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#10 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

I think you are right on your guess of bird of prey. The lobed end and the general shape remind me of hawk secondaries, but i have never seen this exactly before.

#11 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:23 PM

Looks a lot like a hawk secondary. Don't ask me how I know...... No I'm only kidding didn't harm any hawks but have been blessed to rehabilitate one. I'd say it's certainly a hawk feather. Don't know what species reside in Spain though.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#12 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:49 PM

Barn Owl or other owl by looking at the leading edges of the feather, it isn't sharp. Owls have tattered or fringed edges

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#13 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:25 AM

My first thought was Owl as well. What one I have no idea but there are Owls in Maine where we stay and we do run into feathers like that. Course up there we see turkey's as well. But the turkey's up there are quite dark in color. Anyway, my first thought was Owl.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#14 essequamvideri

essequamvideri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

Osprey%20Hythe%209350%20Paul%20Gale.jpg

Osprey, just a guess.

Michael 

#15 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

LOL  ... Okay, I'll be the first one to notice the elephant in the room.

If it IS a feather from a bird of prey ... the feather police now have your URL, your screen name, a picture of the feather and a GPS fix on every electronic device you own.

Expect the kicking down of your door in the middle of the night ... soon.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis