Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutguy

Save the Drama

Fishing the Davidson River in North Carolina below the hatchery is always drama. Intense drama. Especially during warm months. Smooth water, huge fish over twenty inches and an incredible fishing pressure. Those huge floating logs slowly drifting up sipping every fly but yours. This fly gives a great profile and is sparse enough to fool the trout that have seen the entire Umpqua catalogue . This fly has always been the saver. Sometimes in fly fishing you have to save the drama for your momma and catch fish. This is the fish catcher .

post-3361-0-15087100-1470628262_thumb.jpeg

Are you seriously dangling an explanation for how you tied a fly in exchange for someone setting up a swap and sending you flies?

Are you seriously dangling an explanation for how you tied a fly in exchange for someone setting up a swap and sending you flies?

I agree Cold. I thought this was a fun, knowledge sharing site not a negotiating table.

Les

I don't see the harm in it...

However..

This fly looks pretty simple, I'll take a stab at it.

Hook: Daiichi 1130 (or similar curved shank hook) probably a 14 or 16

Thread: Dirty Yellow thread to match the body

Body: Yellowish ultra chenille to match the thread

Hackle: Light dun saddle or cape hackle

Lash down the chenille

Tie in para post and hackle

Wind hackle

Whip finish

If I were doing this fly, I'd singe the end of the chenille a bit more to taper it down, and I'd add a micro thorax of beaver dub for neatness.

He is already in the swap. He is just recruiting more swappers. No big deal!

John Gribb of Wisconsin has a similar pattern for the spring creeks of the Wisconsin Driftless Area. The pattern was featured in Trout Magazine, Fall 2012 Issue.

The article is available on line here: http://online.qmags.com/TU0912S#pg5&mode2

It is also described in this blog and this post:

http://www.tu.org/blog-posts/how-tie-john-gribbs-sb-foam-mayfly

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83736&p=665936

He is already in the swap. He is just recruiting more swappers. No big deal!

Ah, gotcha.

I was reserving judgement as I wasn't quite sure what was going on. That makes much more sense!

I never visit the swap section, so I pretty much forgot that swaps were even a thing. Good to see you swappers seeing activity.

WOW Cold.......that is...well, you know.....COLD.

No I am offering instruction and free flies to someone in a swap I organized to get other swap members. It is called bribery. I don't want flies. I tie too many as it is.

Cheech don't make it more complicated then it needs to be. The fly is pretty well thought out for its pupose. It fools very selective trout. The ultra or micro chenile needs to be held in a flame first, Trim the melted part back a bit, so it isn't noticeable. If you don't, the chenile unwinds.

Doug Swisher and Carl Richards worked to make low floating natural profile Mayflies in the 1970's and this is a prodigy of their ideas.

The dubbing makes the fly sit wrong in the water. So does adding to much hackle. In still water I tie a wrap or a wrap and a half of hackle. Going a size larger on the hackle gives the fly a better surface tension.

Simple very effective fly that floats low, easy to mend and gives you a long natural bug and a long natural drift. Be careful of the head size as well.

The hook is an older Mustad size 12. More of an egg hook than a caddis or scud type. The large hook bend acts as a better keel yet keeps the hook small and unobtrusive.

The post could even be a bit of bright egg yarn if you have trouble seeing the fly in the glare.

The trouble with parachute flies is they are commonly tied with too much stuff and they sit funny on the surface.

For a fly designed to get rid of drama on the Davidson River, this has certainly added drama to this thread, LOL. Or have we taken ourselves too serious on this site?

We may have been typing at the same time, so maybe you didn't see my second post.

I just wasn't sure what exactly was going on, but it seemed ridiculous that someone would share a pattern, then when asked about it, say, "I'll tell you if you...", which is why I asked...because I didn't think someone would really do that.

Good luck on the Davidson! I've fished it before, and while there are trout to be had, some sections of that water are where trout go to get their post-grad, it would seem. I much preferred the upper reaches of the North Fork French Broad, as well as the smaller streams up along the Blue Ridge Parkway, but for bigger, educated fish, the Davidson was a real test.

troutguy,

Apologies. Didn't catch the swap angle in your post.

Les

We may have been typing at the same time, so maybe you didn't see my second post.

I just wasn't sure what exactly was going on, but it seemed ridiculous that someone would share a pattern, then when asked about it, say, "I'll tell you if you...", which is why I asked...because I didn't think someone would really do that.

Good luck on the Davidson! I've fished it before, and while there are trout to be had, some sections of that water are where trout go to get their post-grad, it would seem. I much preferred the upper reaches of the North Fork French Broad, as well as the smaller streams up along the Blue Ridge Parkway, but for bigger, educated fish, the Davidson was a real test.

OMG no offense taken!!!!!!!!!!! I saw you second post after I posted, but I still would have called you......COLD LOL

I am running a swap for Thundercreek streamers and trying to fill it. I love the challenge of the Hatchery Run on the Davidson. I have heard cursing and observed rods thrown. I love to fish behind someone who thinks they are an expert. One trick I will publicly talk about is when fishing a hole that has those huge post breeder trout that have seen everything, follow a guy that puts down every midge, nymph, small dry, san juan gardener or whatever. Tie on a #2 muddler minnow or a large sculpin head and slap it on the water. Let it sit and count to ten and retrieve. Especially in the Fall it brings out the predatory nature, not hunger.

Hey Cold and LesG I am deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeply offended by your offensive comments. I will never accept your apologies unless you fill up my Thundercreek swap. LOL