Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Predator Vise

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Mike,

I watched most of the long video and he does spin it. But not for long. Said it was for those who like lazy dubbing or some crap like that. It did seem to be unbalanced.

The blue loc-line, he did say it would be black and gray on the final production model, it's still loc-line. Ask any machinest who has had to content with this stuff moving how he likes it. And he is not messing with it after every part like you will with every fly.

I applaud them for their attempts at improvements but overall I don't think it's no better than what is offered today.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#17 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

One thing I like about the Norvise (mind you, I don't have one, but I like the video portrayals) is the easy spin.  Seems to be well balanced.

Again, I didn't watch the long version video, but looking at the short version, I never saw him free spin it.  Construction-wise, it doesn't LOOK as well balanced.

He stated it's a proto type and the counter balance wasn't on that one. Along with the jaws weren't hardened on the proto.

It looks well thought out and he mentioned something about keeping price lower than some of the high end vises.

If he can put that out somewhere between $200 & $300 I bet he will sell a bunch of them. I'm curious what it's going to go for.

Base needs some scoops for beads/cones and a magnet for hooks.

And if you look at the purposed finished product when the gallows tool is sitting near the base you won't be able to swing it around and clear your tools in the tool holders.

#18 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

Im sticking with my peak!

#19 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

I had a chance to buy a demo Norvise for $200 and didn't take it. Sometimes I kick myself for that.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#20 xpman

xpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

I have been tying on a Barracuda for 11yrs even though the jaws have to be refurbished (which costs) its been good.

#21 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:35 PM

#22 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

I made this Nor-vise. I don't tie flies on it, For tying I use one of the Law style vises I made, but I love it for making fur and tinsel dubbing brushes for BIG flies for bass and pike. Until the balance problem is worked out on this new Predator vise, you would have to turn it slowly by hand without it freewheeling. NOT COOL. The freewheeling design of a Nor-Vise is what makes it a Nor-Vise. If it didn't freewheel, it would be a silly design. Plus, when using a Nor-Vise, to get FULL potential from the design features of the vise, you need to use with Norm's automatic bobbin. If you don't, every time you remove the bobbin from the bobbin rest (which is like a foot from the jaws), you have to hand wind the thread back on the bobbin. IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT WITHOUT THE AUTO BOBBIN. With the auto bobbin it's an awesome and FAST way to tie flies. That's just me though. Next guy might love this new Predator vise. I will also say, I obviously have access to a machine shop. Every lathe and mill in it has those ball and socket coolant systems. I am willing to bet that after time the ball and socket would get loosened up and slip. Especially the ball and socket closest to the stem. It's the first ones that always get sloppy on the machines in the shop. It did open my eyes to the option of that ball and socket system for a "third hand" system for my vises. Might come in handy for the big articulated flies, like he mentioned. Hell I'm going to make one... LOL..For anyone interested, the brand is LOC-LINE.

Attached Files

#23 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

#24 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Those are a few truly handsome little pieces of engineering, there.

I just googled "Loc-Line vises" and got nothing but hoses... wink.png

No, I made the vises, Loc-Line only makes the ball and socket cooling systems.
Oh, you where kidding. I just noticed the wink on the smiley face. My bad.

#25 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Silkhdh,

I just wish I had the lathe and milling skills you do.  These vices are truly masterpieces!

#26 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:29 PM

I made this Nor-vise. I don't tie flies on it, For tying I use one of the Law style vises I made, but I love it for making fur and tinsel dubbing brushes for BIG flies for bass and pike. Until the balance problem is worked out on this new Predator vise, you would have to turn it slowly by hand without it freewheeling. NOT COOL. The freewheeling design of a Nor-Vise is what makes it a Nor-Vise. If it didn't freewheel, it would be a silly design. Plus, when using a Nor-Vise, to get FULL potential from the design features of the vise, you need to use with Norm's automatic bobbin. If you don't, every time you remove the bobbin from the bobbin rest (which is like a foot from the jaws), you have to hand wind the thread back on the bobbin. IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT WITHOUT THE AUTO BOBBIN. With the auto bobbin it's an awesome and FAST way to tie flies. That's just me though. Next guy might love this new Predator vise. I will also say, I obviously have access to a machine shop. Every lathe and mill in it has those ball and socket coolant systems. I am willing to bet that after time the ball and socket would get loosened up and slip. Especially the ball and socket closest to the stem. It's the first ones that always get sloppy on the machines in the shop. It did open my eyes to the option of that ball and socket system for a "third hand" system for my vises. Might come in handy for the big articulated flies, like he mentioned. Hell I'm going to make one... LOL..For anyone interested, the brand is LOC-LINE.

What does it cost to build the first one in your group of photos? I have a Nor-Vise and will not go back to others...Well, maybe my medalist. That granite base is something i dreamed about for years.

BTW i have 4 nor-vise auto-bobbins. I love them and wish i could afford to get about 4 more.

#27 Tony P

Tony P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:40 AM

BTW i have 4 nor-vise auto-bobbins. I love them and wish i could afford to get about 4 more.

I agree!

#28 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

Now if Mr. Norlander could design an automatic bobbin that would accept a spool of thread and not have to load. I would buy that, don't care what it cost.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#29 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

I Ike the height of it. I tie on a clamp model Dyna King and always wished it was taller.
I agree with other poster that gallows tool won't last long if it's used and moved a lot

Didn't really like the guy putting down other vises with his smart ass crass attitude.
Not the best marking plan there. Kind of put me off.

Yeah, me too...others are."barbarian" vises?  Terrible sales pitch. 

#30 Predator vise

Predator vise

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

hello and thank you all for your responses. May I chime in 

this is not a Nor-vise just because I like straight jaws. We have the angled arm if you like.  It is just my preference for tying big flies. if you want a angled arm just order it.

next the flex are is coolant line. These do fail and fall apart due to the fluids passing through them. not applicable in this function, and should last you a life time.

centerlines are there so you never tie a tilled fly again assuming user uses them while tying ( this is something that should have been done years ago in my opinion. Hence the point of saying "Barbaric" )

the "work caddy ( in the pedestal ) is fully functional with the flex arm and back snatch.

I promise you you will have more room to work than ever before, as that was a big factor in the design.

the plastic clam downs are torque rate to 152 In.-Lbs. and user will never use more than maybe 30 lbs. for intended purpose

inside the cam is two sets of ball bearings and it will spin as freely as you want it to

dogging on the others? hum well after many many years of hearing the same complaints from tyers ( beginner to advanced ) I decided to stop complaining myself and fix the problem. I would love to hear from all of you on this also. Look at the ratcheting system on the competitors master vise. for that useless feature they are charging the tyer roughly $400 ??? why. I have yet to find a tyer that see that as usfull, so..... I also have never had a vise hold a hook as well as I have shown mine to do. Our vise makers to date have not filled any voids and we are filling these voids. so seeing as I have not seen anything updated in fly vises in my lifetime ( beyond true rotary ) I feel we are bringing in the future by bringing you features to work with.

Price. well 100% american made cost money. we have every intent to get the price lower as we gain buying power. 

hand crafted parts from american craftsmen is awesome. you can see and feel it in the vise. 

center lines

twin ball bearing

back snatch and flex arm

measuring system ( in 1/16 in. )

5/8 stainless steel post is not only designed to give you more height adjustment, but also if you want to make the post 4ft. long all you have to do is go to your hardware store and but 5/8.s whatever to fit your needs. That's the point of what we are doing. This is for you, me, and the future of tying. The attachments to come will amaze you ( we hope), we are building attachments to fit your vise on your bench,so...

not trying to advertise here as the OP did share our vise with you on his own accord. Here is our website ( please delete if not allowed )

www.forceflyfishing.com

we have many new schools tools drawn up and ready to go as we grow, The Predator is one of two flagship vises we have to offer, but this is number one right now. Grassroots company with the future of fly tying and in- abling the " disabled" for the greater good of this world we live in.  I very respectfully ask for the tying community to support us.

If missed something please let me know. I look forward to your opinions good and bad. Help us keep our shared passion alive