Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Predator Vise

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 SplittingCane

SplittingCane

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

Now if Mr. Norlander could design an automatic bobbin that would accept a spool of thread and not have to load. I would buy that, don't care what it cost.

If you don't mind spending the money the Ekcih bobbin is what you describe.  I have one and it is the only bobbin I will use.

http://www.automaticbobbin.com

#32 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Now if Mr. Norlander could design an automatic bobbin that would accept a spool of thread and not have to load. I would buy that, don't care what it cost.

If you don't mind spending the money the Ekcih bobbin is what you describe.  I have one and it is the only bobbin I will use.

http://www.automaticbobbin.com

Just looked at the Ekcih site. Awesome, I like it. It is expensive but still want to order 1 or 2. I won't be able to replace all 12 of the bobbins I have loaded, but I sure could replace 2 of them. Thanks for the info.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#33 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

Yeah ... $70 to $100 per holder?  

Not until I've won the lottery.  

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#34 Predator vise

Predator vise

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

The guy is a one man operation and his bobbin is worth the money. If you have a rite bobbin, then the ekcih really isn't much more, for what you get in return

#35 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

The guy is a one man operation and his bobbin is worth the money. If you have a rite bobbin, then the ekcih really isn't much more, for what you get in return

Fortunately, he's not depending on me to support his family.  I think I spent $7.00 on my most expensive bobbin holder.  

I'll never spend 10 times that for a holder, just because it "self-rewinds" after making a dubbing loop or whip finish. 

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#36 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:19 PM

OK I've been wanting a new vise for a while now. I tie on a Dyna King Professional and have ever since about the 3rd year they went into production,I have every gadget made for this vice and I have tied 1000's & 1000's of flies on it....it has served me well. But I just love this guys vise and just have to have one.

I just spent some time with him on the phone(nice guy & good conversation)and I'm getting one....selling my Dyna King or trading with him...either way I'm getting one of his vises. He has a C-clamp model available that looks sweet(I don't like base vises)

He is just not organized very well on the internet yet but he is working on it.....I've been tying 50 years and have used just about every vise out there except a LAW but I've played with it...I was about to buy a Jvise or Dyna-king Ultimate Indexer but this just trumped both of them...Built like a BSH and I like that.

I'm guessing Jan I'll have one...with the new updates.

Just my opinion

#37 Predator vise

Predator vise

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

Thank you Mike
So just to fill in. As far as me being a smart a$$ well I am a smart a$$, so....
Second I really wasn't trying to put the "other guys " down. That said though I fell that the other guys have been treating us ( the tyers) as the fools. A certain ratcheting vise angered me when it came out. The over engineered and over priced vise made me sick. I was a very loyal customer of thier sites till then. After that I almost purchased a regal at $500+ but as I was walking to the counter to buy it is realized that they were playing me the fool, so at that moment I decided to create the predator. I said to myself that there was far to much missing in hook holders ( vises) there had been no real changes in my life time in vises that would Warrent such prices. I would create something better at a lesser cost.
Look at a barracuda basically $430 look at a revolution $500+, look at a master vise $700+ and what the vise is capable of, then look at the predator which is $449 and look at what it does, oh it will hold a hook just like the others ( and better) , but I give you straight jaws angled jaws, flex arm with back snatch and bobbin rest, a tool caddy, center and angle position markers, hook magnet in bedded into the pedestaland a fully dished out base for beads and what nots all standard with your purchase.
Loc-line is what we are using and has not failed me yet. The other China made stuff does sucks, and with the use that we the tyers are using it for should not fail, becaus3 it does not have fluids being pump threw it causing failure, I have unwrapped the end over and over and it still has not become sloppy, so I have confidence in it.
Free spin: we are counter weighting the jaws for ( as my friends call it " lazy dubbing" ) which I don't like to do, and have no need for it in the tying I do. The cam has to sets of ball bearing it rides on, two notches in the jaws for small and big hooks. Now I am all about making a product that is worth the money, and the only way I can see paying over $200 for a vise is if it does more than hold a hook, and that's what I am bringing to the table. I am proud to offer this vise to my people and my people are the fly tyers
Features future features

#38 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

TTT
Been a year...anyone had one in there hands yet or bought one?

The only reason I dont have one is Im too broke and my Dyna King needs to go back for a refurbish before I could sell it and get something close to what its worth

#39 BobHRAH

BobHRAH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Have never been thrilled by the Norvise, so this Predator has little appeal.  However, I am anxious to check out the HMH LAW knock-off when available.   If it performs (main criteria would be can it hold a hook), then would consider if reasonably priced.

Thanks, Bob H

#40 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

hmh trv vise is now available

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=86380

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.