Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What is a good bass fry pattern?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

It always happens just a little two far or just a little too deep for me to see in these no-vis tanin waters, but the nervous waters, the wakes and the splashes don't lie. There is some serious action going on in the evenings. Either bass or peacocks, or both, are thrashing schools of bait/fry and they will not take any fly that I throw at them. I can't see what they are after exactly, so I will have to try a few things...

So, what are your favorite bass fry patterns? One thing I know. They have to be tiny.
Bimini15

#2 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Where are you fishing? If there are peacocks then there are also likely tilapia, which may be the ones splashing. I have seen schools of tilapia bust the surface a lot but won't hit a baitfish pattern since they are vegetarians. They are likely not peacocks since those things will hit anything in their path (repeatedly) when they are feeding or bedding but won't seem to touch anything when they are on the move. 

If they are busting at the top, try a small fire tiger colored popper

#3 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Very small clousers in white have saved the day for me during the fry hatch.

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

I have good luck with a small clouser like size 6 with bead chain eyes, olive over white, I like to use Arctic fox fit the white to give more movement.

#5 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:49 PM

South East Florida. Tilapia is possible, but I have never paid any attention to them or their behaviors. I would not know how they charge.

The splashes are now and then only. Most of it is under the surface, but you can clearly see wakes and boils. You can see a ball of bait forming, getting bigger as it moves around the pond, then comes the fright, the v wakes slicing through, the boils and a splash here and there.

But it is not a bona fide bass frenzy, no bass flying out of the water chasing fingerling flying even higher. I know I could catch one of those if I only had a piece of chorizo on a hook and managed to fling it out there.

In the pond there are gills, gar, bass, peacocks, tilapia, mayan cichlids and one crappie that I caught once years ago. Also grass carp and a two foot alligator that is trying to be my friend. Persistent little bugger.
Bimini15

#6 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,076 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

This is one of those cases where it's probably not the fly, but the presentation.   If you're seeing predators chasing bait ... then believe that they are CHASING bait !!!  When you get a clouser, streamer or any other slim, bait-fish looking fly in front of them, strip it back as fast as you can.  Give them something to chase.  Learn how to tuck your rod under your arm, and do the double hand strip.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

Mikechell has a good point.

I know in a couple of my mayan filled ponds in the mornings and afternoons, I get a lot more follows and wakes than attacks like in the heat of day. I started hooking up with more by creating a reaction strike and preventing them from getting a good look at the fly.

A diving foam fly might be something to try. I've been having good luck recently with bass and cichlids with this one. Instead of a flat popper face I tied a few to resemble a dalberg diver with foam. I call them snoopy. They dive then slowly float up when you pause. Keep striping and they will stay 6-8 inches under the surface depending on materials.. hook size and foam.

Attached Files

#8 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

I'm with Mike too on presentation. Here it isn't so much bass fry, though we have them, but herring frey as bait. The presentation then is a lower mid water swim that suspends well. A clouser won't do it, well it might with bead chain. But a conventional clouser sinks too fast. herring cruise by in schools, clouds of them and if you can represent a straggler that suspends you get yourself a bunch of fish LOL ! General colors are close enough and a touch of flash though. Size matters big time, you want to match the hatch in a general size and general profile.

On the other hand we have a sucker hatch in the spring. If you know anything about suckers you know they cruise, if you can call it that, the bottom. They are more round shaped than herring ( herring ties are fairly flat), suckers pretty rounded but otherwise about the same size fry. So, tying herring for instance takes strands of hair ( synth or natural) laid in under and over the hook in fairly traditional ways as a buck tail is tied. The sucker goes better with synth fibers ( craft fur) and dubbing loop approach, building a fatter body and weighted.

I have no idea how this correlates to your situation, except that you need to discover the approach more than specific patterns.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#9 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:09 AM

Suggestions so far are good - but here's the two patterns I tied by the hundreds for local south Florida shops for peacocks.  Essentially they're the same small Clouser on a #4 hook -but with different wings...  The last pattern shown is my version of the Prince of Tides -a bendback style in size 1/0 - also a pretty good bug for matching very young bass....

Attached Files

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#10 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

Attached File  image.jpeg   166.27KB   0 downloads

I have these clousers on the top right corner of the box that I am going to try next. Got the feeling I need something whiter and smaller, but we will see. It is about the journey, right?
Bimini15

#11 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

An old school Matuka Steamer works great to this day.

Pearl/White belly...little red around the gill area and grizzly hackle..catches everything that swims...tie em small for your situation.

#12 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

I tie a good fry pattern that does really well for largemouth...

I have a video instructional of it on my channel... Here is the picture.
Attached File  image.jpeg   131.68KB   1 downloads

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#13 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

Well... It was not exactly the situation I described in the earlier posts, but I was casting while waiting for the right moment and this happened...

Attached File  image.jpeg   112.18KB   1 downloads

Look around and find the clouser. Now, you can laugh all you want, but he is hooked, so I am calling this a catch... :)
Bimini15

#14 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

Haha. Nice.

That's it. That's the last straw. I'm driving over to the county next door and I ain't coming home till I get a peacock!

#15 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

McFly,
That's a nice bait fish pattern. I like it.
I'm going to go check it out