Fly Tying
L. B. Fly Tyer

Clouser Deep Minnow

No question it will catch fish. However I personally don't put the Dumbbells that far back, and usually try to tie up a shorter and cleaner head. However it's a great start, and lots better then I tied them when I first started. I say great job! Keep up the good work!

If you are just getting started, this is a good effort.

I think most people would put the eyes closer to the eye of the hook.

Personally, I would paint them as well.

The white hair would flare less if you didn't apply as much force to the thread.

... and that is it for me! I am sure other will give you more, finer pointers, lots of them too... :)

1/3 the hook shank length back from the eye is a good place to start as far as eye placement goes, then tweak for how you like to fish them. Yours looks about half way back. FWIW, I don't paint brass eyes either, though I might use stick ons with a drop of super glue ( probably not).

I dont think he's a newbie judging from other posts, he actually mentioned being a commercial tier,

I do personally prefer the eyes forward some and I also dont like the trimming of the bucktail.

Bimini, the type of hair on the bucktail itself will determine how it flares. You want to make sure its tied down tight as bucktail slips rather easily.

I dont think he's a newbie judging from other posts, he actually mentioned being a commercial tier,

I do personally prefer the eyes forward some and I also dont like the trimming of the bucktail.

Bimini, the type of hair on the bucktail itself will determine how it flares. You want to make sure its tied down tight as bucktail slips rather easily.

I feel bad now, I hadn't seen him post so I assumed he was a new tier. My bad. I wasn't judging from the fly, because it's a good fly, just only from not seeing his other posts.

As for the buck tail your right, it's Flared not from too tight of wraps but from the place the buck tail is taken. If taken from the tip of the tail it will flair less.

Two schools of thought on where to place the eyes. I like them closer to the center of the shank. Usually somewhere between where this one is tyed and where most folks would put them. If the eyes are in what is accepted as normal the fly has a jigging action. With them in the center of the shank the fly will sink in more of a level manner and flutter a bit more.

I have experimented with using foam for the eyes and putting a few wraps of lead at the bend. This was an attempt to get it to sink tail first. More like a dying baitfish.

If my bucktail starts to flair, I just don't wrap it so tight. I also coat the head area with (UV) epoxy. I too think the eyes are too far back, need to be painted black and never trim bucktail.

Yeah, if you don't have a hair stacker you could try a piece of straw. I used a piece of straw for years, then finally broke down and bought a stacker. Course I don't very often stack bucktail,it's more for the other hairs I use ( elk and moose usually)..

Course you could hand stack like this guy does:

Posted this on another thread, but watch this video of Bob tying his Clouser a few times and them compare it to your...... Bobs eye placement is very important.

Also, it looks like you trimmed the tips of the the bucktail which is normally a bib no-no because you loose the natural taper of the bucktail that bucktail is so famous for.