Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Green Highlander x 7

Sweet! I had always wondered if you broke it into stages like that or just tied the one fly at a time.

Doug

Sweet! I had always wondered if you broke it into stages like that or just tied the one fly at a time.

Doug

3 stages of tying when doing this many:

1) tag, tail & butt

2) body & throat

3) wing

Nice flies

I am assuming those are salmon flies which always puzzled me. For example, "trout flies" usually mimic bugs and insects, "bonefish flies" mimic crabs and shrimp and so on. But "salmon flies" are just a cool crazy assortment of exotic materials. My question is, what does "salmon flies" mimic that salmon like so much?

PS. That assembly line was pretty cool, I might have to try that out myslef

Nice flies

I am assuming those are salmon flies which always puzzled me. For example, "trout flies" usually mimic bugs and insects, "bonefish flies" mimic crabs and shrimp and so on. But "salmon flies" are just a cool crazy assortment of exotic materials. My question is, what does "salmon flies" mimic that salmon like so much?

PS. That assembly line was pretty cool, I might have to try that out myslef

Butterflies !

WOW, thank you for that. I never thought of mass marrying sets of wings...Should play with my pile more. THANK-YOU for showing that!

I did look it up in youtube. And I can now confirm that I do not have the patience to do this. But I will continue to enjoy other people's creations.

I did look it up in youtube. And I can now confirm that I do not have the patience to do this. But I will continue to enjoy other people's creations.

Wait till you try to marry duck feathers for smaller flies...That is hit and miss on the best of days. I use to like to freak people out with Royal-Coachman tied with red and white wings. I actually had a guy YEARS ago ask me what kind of bird i got the feather from. After i quit laughing he was mad when i told him how they are built. It is hard to mount them high and keep them married. For giggles i had a bit of 14K gold wire i would give 3 twists of though the body...Sadly that is all gone and i can't afford more, so it it brass from now on...if i do them again???

I think i got one to Steeldrifter years ago??? I remember a swap that i asked one of the last gold ones went to some-one special...I think it was Steve???