Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bunny Gill Streamer Fly

streamer fly tying bluegill bluegill fly fishing fly

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

fd8a403d930693d38bd55064769f94cc.jpg

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#17 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

Though folks don't of them as such, smallmouth, largemouth, and spotted bass are part of the panfish family.

I do know some folks that for anything that swims and be stuck in a frying pan is considered "panfish"

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#18 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

BlueGills all species I just lump them into one group and call them Bream...Crappie I call panfish,because that's where they end up

#19 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

Oppps double post

#20 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

BlueGills all species I just lump them into one group and call them Bream...Crappie I call panfish,because that's where they end up

Bream is not a common term in the states that I'm aware of, are you from Europe? I think that's a common term up there. Here (at least my friends and I) pretty much call them all bluegill, although I know that's not really correct. I think the term panfish here is like bream but it includes crappie. In my regulations book for my state they call all these "panfish" and your allowed 20 of them in any combination. I don't know 100% cause I don't keep them often enough to studdy the regulations to memorization.

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#21 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

Though folks don't of them as such, smallmouth, largemouth, and spotted bass are part of the panfish family.

I do know some folks that for anything that swims and be stuck in a frying pan is considered "panfish"

I didn't believe you on this, but I looked it up and your right! Holy crap! I always thought there was a separate species called bass that incorporated spotted, largemouth, smallmouth, ecc... well ya learn something new every day right? At least that's the goal!

www.McFlyAngler.com

#22 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Bream is a common term here in the south

#23 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

Bream is a common term here in the south

It is? Oh ok I didn't know. I lived in south Texas for a while, but that's the closest to the "south" I've been. They do things a bit different in Texas than Louisiana to Georgia...

www.McFlyAngler.com

#24 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

Yep, most folks here (SC) call the Sunfish family members, except for bass & Crappies, either bream or brim. I've noticed over the years that the Bluegill can have a wide variance in it's colors. 

I caught some in Florida once that were more purple & black than anything, and huge, while most I caught back in MD looked like the pics that Norm posted. Perhaps some of the color variations are cross breeds, or perhaps it's their environment. Frankly, I've yet to find that imitations had to be exact to attract a bite, but it's nice to see the effort & artistic qualities put into such patterns. 

McFly, once again nice video & fly! smile.png

#25 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

Yep, most folks here (SC) call the Sunfish family members, except for bass & Crappies, either bream or brim. I've noticed over the years that the Bluegill can have a wide variance in it's colors. 
I caught some in Florida once that were more purple & black than anything, and huge, while most I caught back in MD looked like the pics that Norm posted. Perhaps some of the color variations are cross breeds, or perhaps it's their environment. Frankly, I've yet to find that imitations had to be exact to attract a bite, but it's nice to see the effort & artistic qualities put into such patterns. 

McFly, once again nice video & fly! smile.png

I agree, to catch fish you don't have to be exact on color patterns. There was a feed a while back that discussed this very thing. What I took away after that feed was that fish mainly go after movement, then size, then color can make a small difference after both color and movement needs have been met. But color makes a difference to me and my confidence so I still try to "match the hatch" so to speak. Glad you like it...

www.McFlyAngler.com

#26 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

Here in Indiana when the borrow pits and farm ponds are stocked the prefered "gill" is a hybrid. It's a cross between the bluegill and green sunfish.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#27 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

No doubt confidence is important to our success. Whether it be in what you're using or in yourself & your abilities or skills. I agree with your comments about the sequence of importance, and will only add that with the size category, profile can be important at times too. For example, there's a big difference in profile between a Bluegill & a Shiner, so even if an imitation has the "right" colors, if one or the other of these (Bluegill or Shiner) are being targeted as forage, the profile may be more important than the actual color.

All good stuff to consider for improving our success, but no rules to what our preferred target fish species might really want. I guess that's one thing that makes this all so interesting & why we keep trying to "improve" our flies! laugh.png

#28 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

bream is a common name in the usa

http://www.outdooral...bream-sunfish-0

Fly tying - The art of attaching feathers, fur, wool, and silk to a tiny hook to create artificial lures that imitate insects, a skill easily mastered by anyone who can peel a grape blindfolded with a pair of tweezers and a butter knife while wearing oven mitts.

#29 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

No doubt confidence is important to our success. Whether it be in what you're using or in yourself & your abilities or skills. I agree with your comments about the sequence of importance, and will only add that with the size category, profile can be important at times too. For example, there's a big difference in profile between a Bluegill & a Shiner, so even if an imitation has the "right" colors, if one or the other of these (Bluegill or Shiner) are being targeted as forage, the profile may be more important than the actual color.

All good stuff to consider for improving our success, but no rules to what our preferred target fish species might really want. I guess that's one thing that makes this all so interesting & why we keep trying to "improve" our flies! laugh.png

Yeah I lumped profile in with the size category, but I probably shouldn't have. Profile shape is kinda separate huh? Well either way, size and profile are both more important than color.

www.McFlyAngler.com

#30 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:40 PM

bream is a common name in the usa

http://www.outdooral...bream-sunfish-0

I stand corrected... so it's just me and my fellow fishing buddies that don't use that term I guess... haha. Either way, I think it's a correct term, just not one I'm used to hearing. That's all.

www.McFlyAngler.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: streamer, fly tying, bluegill, bluegill fly, fishing fly