Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

West Coast Salt water

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Brodrash

Brodrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

So I know there are tons of saltwater guys, but it seems like most of them are on the east coast with a high concentration of you living in Florida. Although I love Florida and have visited St. Augustine many times I don't see myself making that trek again anytime soon.

That being said California is a more manageable journey and with the right equipment I would fish the salt in a heartbeat. Anybody have tips on specific locations and flies they would be willing to share. General saltwater tips are welcome as well!

#2 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

San Diego, Mako sharks on my bucket list
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#3 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

Brodrash
I'm from Kentucky but have fished the San Diego bay. I caught calico bass and some other weird fish there. 7wt with a shooting sink tip line. 10 to 17' deep. I used orange and white clousers. They also had pacific bonefish but I didn't catch any. Fishing was ok. Watching our naval ships and planes was awesome.

#4 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

lot of west coast tying info on danblanton.com   rich mc

#5 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Try posting in the salt section too for more actual salt anglers.

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#6 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

San Diego, Mako sharks on my bucket list

That ain't fishing that's work!
Go to sdfishcom

#7 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

Ever seen the mouth of a Mako...that's one exciting shark for sure.

But for me I'm a carnivore, I want fish to eat myself like snook but Cal has rock bass & corvina,(spelling ) I think and some other fish that hang around the marinas and jetty's etc.

#8 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

Mako's are delicious right up there with threasure(sp?)Sharks

#9 Brodrash

Brodrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

What weight do you need for makos, a 10 wt at least right?

#10 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

I think a 12 would be more suitable as they are big and mean. They chum them up so only a short cast is necessary.

#11 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:52 AM

I think a 14 if you want one the size that jumped 9 times out of the water!

#12 Brodrash

Brodrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

Although it does sound like a blast, at this point I could not justify buying a 12wt or 14 wt I don't think it would see daylight  often enough! lol Maybe some time later in life though!

#13 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

There are opportunities up and down the coast, just not what you would generally think of destination saltwater fishing.  San Diego has lots of opportunities including bonefish among other species.  The situation gets much more interesting during El Nino years, because we'll get all sorts of species following the warm water current as far north as Monterey.  The one place I've been wanting to fish is Catalina which depending on the time of year and the conditions, can be a very interesting fishery especially if there are dorado and tuna around, but the yellowtail can be fun as well.  Vaughn Podmore is making quite a name for himself guiding this area and he would be my first choice if I were looking for a guide (http://www.saltyflyfishing.com).

#14 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

If your after Macos you may have to tie up some of these.  Dave Trimble's - Trimble shark tube fly, its about 11 inches.  I purchased this one many years ago for the pattern and make a fly very similar for large lake trout

Attached File  DSC_1056.JPG   38.59KB   0 downloads

#15 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

There are non-traditional saltwater fishing opportunities to the north as well. Surf Perch from Oregon and Washington beaches, Salmon from Puget sound beaches, Sea-run Cutthroat in estuaries and even trolling off shore with fly gear for Albacore Tuna.