Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kinni

Hello from Western Wisconsin

I have a great naturally reproducing trout stream out my backyard (Kinnickinnic River - affectionately known as the Kinni) as well as many miles of other productive trout water nearby. I've been fly fishing and fly tying for close to 30 years. I got a start from my girl friend's dad (now my father-in-law for 24 years). After getting a start from him, I used magazines, books and the interwebs for additional help to improve my tying. I won't claim to great at it, but my ties do catch fish.

I've been stalking this site for a few weeks and have come to a similar realization as others that there are some phenomenal tyers on here and I sure do appreciate all they are willing to share. I'll try not to ONLY be a stalker and try to contribute where I can, but reality is that I'll gain WAY more from all of your shares than what I might contribute.

Thanks so much for the effort involved in making this a wonderful place to visit and help me to escape during lunches at work or downtime at home.

Dave

Hey, when you have a stalker ... at least you know ONE person that loves you !!!

Welcome to the site. Pictures!!! We like to see what 30 years of "Cheese Head" fly tying produces !!!

Most of what I tie are quite small and not overly complex for the streams I tend to frequent. I typically tie flies in size 16 and smaller. Here are a few crappy cell phone shots of some of my preferred patterns:

Zebra Midges

Pheasant Tails

Sparkle Duns (I actually carry one box that has only this one pattern in various sizes and colors)

Pink Squirrels - yes, I realize the rib doesn't match the bead color... (I tie these with a black dubbed body instead of squirrel hair and pink Ice Dub instead of Chenille for the collar)

Final shot is from a brief tying session with my daughter. Her favorite color is green and she was happy with her unique creations. :-)

Zebra Midge.pdf

Pheasant Tail.pdf

Sparkle Dun.pdf

Pink Squirrel.pdf

Tying with the Kiddo.pdf