Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

2017 Spring Articulated Streamers

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#16 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

I'm ok without the size restriction but for sure no articulated buggers.I have seen these before and that's not what this is about. 

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#17 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

I have an idea I would like to add to the swap. Let me know what you think. Not every day are perfect water conditions so how about splitting up the flies? Half for clean water and the rest for dirty water.

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#18 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:23 PM

How about one of each from each tier? You're pushing it out to March 1st should be lots of time and a season's worth of flies.

#19 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:47 AM

My idea was if we have 12 flies do 6 for clean the rest for dirty. 

Kevin

#20 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

It doesn't work in my feeble mind. Kevin. We never get 2 flies from same tier so how do we get a bright and dirty from each tier. Seems like if you take an even number and half tie all theirs dark and half tie all theirs bright it would then sort out so each of us get half and half and we get ONE fly from each  tire. yes?

#21 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:54 PM

I am on if there's room

#22 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

It doesn't work in my feeble mind. Kevin. We never get 2 flies from same tier so how do we get a bright and dirty from each tier. Seems like if you take an even number and half tie all theirs dark and half tie all theirs bright it would then sort out so each of us get half and half and we get ONE fly from each  tire. yes?

I am on if there's room

vicente your in. vic I can mix them up. If someone sends in a random set they would still need to be under the set up. 

Kevin

#23 carpflyguy

carpflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

How about one of each from each tier? You're pushing it out to March 1st should be lots of time and a season's worth of flies.

Either way sounds like it will work fine, but I think this is a good idea.

#24 Wetsock

Wetsock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

I jump in on this one. Had planed to learn this new style to me this winter so this will be a good start. Have material on the way but still need to get hooks. Any suggestions on good sites to vist or hook recomidation? I am sure I will have a few questions along the way but as always I know we're to go.

#25 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

I jump in on this one. Had planed to learn this new style to me this winter so this will be a good start. Have material on the way but still need to get hooks. Any suggestions on good sites to vist or hook recomidation? I am sure I will have a few questions along the way but as always I know we're to go.

Partridge Predator or Gamakatsu b10 stingers make good hooks for these, try J stocked.

#26 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

I'm out of the norm for this one. For hooks I like 2 different ones. Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Worm Hook's and Ownen Straight Worm Wide Gap hook's.

Kevin

#27 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

I like the good old stand by most of the video tiers use, the B10S, and ebay has them at reasonable prices. The Predator hook from Partridge is a longer hook and to me is too long for articulated, though the hooks Kevin mentions are probably as long or longer. 

Kevin, as you are the one who brought up clean and dirty water, I could use some help on this. My thinking for years was darker for dark water, lighter for clearer water. Could you list groups of colors you see as for dirty flies and for clean flies?

Nick

#28 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

I like the good old stand by most of the video tiers use, the B10S, and ebay has them at reasonable prices. The Predator hook from Partridge is a longer hook and to me is too long for articulated, though the hooks Kevin mentions are probably as long or longer. 

Kevin, as you are the one who brought up clean and dirty water, I could use some help on this. My thinking for years was darker for dark water, lighter for clearer water. Could you list groups of colors you see as for dirty flies and for clean flies?

Nick

I use "earth colors' like brown's grey's black for sure ect. for dirty or dark days. Flies that give more silhouette.

Kevin

#29 carpflyguy

carpflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

So Kevin, would 2 separate patterns be preferable for this, or 1 pattern, but split between 2 colors? For the clean vs dirty water? Planning on doing a game changer, which can work both, but better in certain colors for certain water quality

#30 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

I need a little clarification on how many flies we are tying. Are we tying one of each for each tyer?