Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Prybis

Dyna-King

I am looking at getting a Dyna-King Vise. Either the Indexer, Barracuda, or Barracuda Jr. I was wondering if these came with the centering gauge or does it need to be purchased separately? Also, if it was you buying one of these, which one would you buy and why? If you are wondering, I currently tie on a Nor-vise. Thanks again for the help.

The Indexer comes with the centering gauge. Don't know about the Jr.. The Ind Xerox is a great vise and I haven't anything but good things about the junior.

The diagrams for the Barracuda and Barracuda Jr specify that the centering pin is available for separate purchase.

One of the pluses for the Norvise is no centering gauge necessary. After just a few minutes practice, you're mounting every hook for perfect inline rotation.

On that note, what are you looking for in your DK purchase that can't be accomplished with your Norvise?

The diagrams for the Barracuda and Barracuda Jr specify that the centering pin is available for separate purchase.

One of the pluses for the Norvise is no centering gauge necessary. After just a few minutes practice, you're mounting every hook for perfect inline rotation.

On that note, what are you looking for in your DK purchase that can't be accomplished with your Norvise?

I own two of the above and at the time they both came with a centering gauge and I don't see it as an accessory item on the Dyna King website.

Both my Barracuda and Barracuda Jr Trekker came with the gauge. That was over 10 years ago. May have changed since.

Cheers,

C.

I am looking for portability and hook holding. There are times when the Nor-vise just does not hold a hook securely enough and it slips. Plus it has more rotary tying options.

https://youtu.be/CcsM_k3TOjE

Prybis,

I watched you tie on your Norvise at Wildcat Creek. Awesome flies. But I can understand the portability issue. The Norvise is a bit bulky to travel with.

The vise I use is the Griffin Montana Mongoose. I have yet to have a problem with it holding hooks. I have tied from size 20 up to 1/0. I know you are looking at Dyna-King but thought I would throw it out there.

Prybis,

I watched you tie on your Norvise at Wildcat Creek. Awesome flies. But I can understand the portability issue. The Norvise is a bit bulky to travel with.

The vise I use is the Griffin Montana Mongoose. I have yet to have a problem with it holding hooks. I have tied from size 20 up to 1/0. I know you are looking at Dyna-King but thought I would throw it out there.

I have looked at all the other vises out there and have settled on the Dyna-King line. Thanks to the Good People working at Wildcat Creek Outfitters and their Black Friday sale of 20% off, I placed an order of the Trekker. I know it is not one I ask about but I was informed that for the tying I do it will get the job done and then some. Since that was the case I did not see the need to spend another 100 on the vise when I can get accessories with that extra money.

The centering gauge is completely unnecessary IMO...

True Cheech. Hardly if ever use them.

The centering gauge is completely unnecessary IMO...

True Cheech. Hardly if ever use them.

Yup. If not included, would not bother spending the money on the accessory.