Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Musky Fly Swap 2017

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

We had an outstanding Musky Fly Swap last year.  I was very impressed with the problem-solving ability and the technical/artistic skills of participants in the swap.  Even though these are large flies, tiers need to balance weight of the hook and amount of materials with castability.  Flies need to push water and/or have a very seductive action on them.

We will continue to target the biggest of these fish, those that are 40+ inches and 20+ pounds.  All flies must be tied on hooks 4/0 or larger and are due no later than March 10, 2017.  They need to be toe tagged and return postage must be included.  

Swap - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 6.5 inches long (participants will tie 6 flies)

SM - Musky Fly Guy  white/chartreuse streamer - 5/0 - received
1. Eastern Fly - streamer - received
2. Decisions - streamer - received
3.Flat Rock native - Sonic Flashtail - received
4. Crackleback - Bufford - received
5. WVUontheFly - Jumping Jack Flash - received
6. Andrew.da.cook -   unnamed   - 5/0 - received

Swap is full

Sign up by posting an "I'm in". Please specify the name of the fly and the size of the hook. I will verify with a confirming email or post.  Remember to send them in a container that will hold flies of that size. If all flies are submitted early, I will sort and get them back right away.  This will help us with our personal tying and planning for next year.  If you have any questions, please send me an email.  Last years swap was outstanding and ran very smoothly.  I am looking forward seeing your efforts.

Tom

#2 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

Musky Guy, I read of a system that worked for some guys in MN. There was a bait called wavewalker or somthing like that that was a fairly flat spoon with a paddle blade on a spin arm right in center. One would cast this spoon into shore or over weedbeds and crank really fast. When the bait got about halfway the other guy would cast a jerk bait like a Suick or large plastic bait and work it more slowly behind the spoon churning the surface. I believe it was the Capra boys from Capra Sports that did this and doubled the catch on the Mnpls/St Paul stocked musky lakes. Seems like something like might work with any of the fast churning surface baits and then throwing a big fly behind and strip hard.

Nick

#3 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

I'm first on your list.

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#4 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Im in too!

#5 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

I will go on this one, too

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#6 Crackleback

Crackleback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

I'll be in again.

#7 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

Do you have a number your looking for? I'm thinking a single hook fly this time.

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#8 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Eastern Fly - Josephcsylvia - Flat Rock native - Crackleback

You are all in

Thanks

#9 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

We had an outstanding Musky Fly Swap last year.  I was very impressed with the problem-solving ability and the technical/artistic skills of participants in the swap.  Even though these are large flies, tiers need to balance weight of the hook and amount of materials with castability.  Flies need to push water and/or have a very seductive action on them.

We will continue to target the biggest of these fish, those that are 40+ inches and 20+ pounds.  All flies must be tied on hooks 4/0 or larger and are due no later than March 10, 2017.  They need to be toe tagged and return postage must be included.  

Swap - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 6.5 inches long (participants will tie 6 flies)

SM - Musky Fly Guy – white/chartreuse streamer - 5/0 -
1. Eastern Fly -
2. Josephcsylvia -
3.Flat Rock native -
4. Crackleback -

Sign up by posting an "I'm in". Please specify the name of the fly and the size of the hook. I will verify with a confirming email or post.  Remember to send them in a container that will hold flies of that size. If all flies are submitted early, I will sort and get them back right away.  This will help us with our personal tying and planning for next year.  If you have any questions, please send me an email.  Last year’s swap was outstanding and ran very smoothly.  I am looking forward seeing your efforts.

Tom

Planning a Sonic Flashtail in PinkWonder or Firetiger. Need to order bigger hooks. Been using 2/0 Saltwaters on local Tiger Muskie and Bass flies...

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#10 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Let's get it on.

Kevin

#11 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

WVU is in. One more opening. I will contact a couple of Muskie fishers and see if one wants to take the spot.

#12 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

WVU is in. One more opening. I will contact a couple of Muskie fishers and see if one wants to take the spot.

#13 andrew.da.cook

andrew.da.cook

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

I am interested if still open..

"Trout are so f**king predictable" - DF3

#14 andrew.da.cook

andrew.da.cook

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

The fly I would tie doesn't have a name, but it is 2 big game changing shanks attached to a 5/0 x-heavy worm hook.  Tied with hackle tail, bucktail cones over body tubing body with a body tubing head.  

"Trout are so f**king predictable" - DF3

#15 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Welcome Andrew.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom