Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
L. B. Fly Tyer

Need New Scissors

My old pair of scissors really stink and I've currently been using safety scissors to cut my buck tail (because they work better than my other scissors). I was wondering if any of you had advice on which scissors I could get. My budget is around 15$ so keep that in mind while making recommendations.

My primary scissors are Anvil. I do use scissors from Hobby Lobby that are used for cutting deer and elk hair. With a $15 budget take a look at the hobby and sewing stores. You may be able to find a deal on-line or at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

My primary scissors are Anvil. I do use scissors from Hobby Lobby that are used for cutting deer and elk hair. With a $15 budget take a look at the hobby and sewing stores. You may be able to find a deal on-line or at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

Anvil's are $16-$20, but maybe you can find one on sale.

What flytire pictured. Walmart under 10 bucks and cut as good as any fly tying scissors out there. I have the curved ones as well and no complaints.

I've used several brands but for me Dr. Slicks are my favorite. Got a pair going on a decade and and still waiting for them to dull

They're a little over your range, but I love my pair of these.

I can't say I'd buy a pair, since I got mine in a grab bag purchase.

My other scissors are nail scissors from CVS. $10.00 or so and they'll cut just about anything. They'll last a long time if you don't try cutting wire with them.

For cutting bucktail I have a pair of barber scissors with serrated blades which are replaceable. Not really an issue though my scissors are about 25 years old.

I bought two pair (straight and curved) of beautiful Miltex iris scissors through a very well respected

fly shop more than 20 years ago. These are true surgical instruments and are fantastic for tying flies.

Looking at Ebay, it looks like there are Intrgra Miltex 4" iris scissors for sale (both straight and curved)

for around $15 with shipping. If these are anywhere near as good as the scissors I have, they are

well worth trying.

I just bought a pair of curved scissors recently ( last summer) but before that and for about 25 years I have been using the same scissors flytire pictured, with no particular issue. Before that, single edge razor blades and there still is nothing wrong with single edge razor blades for many tying activities actually. But anyway, the little Fiskars work great on bucktail fwiw.