Fly Tying
vicente

good cheap razor blades

I am curious as to what kind of blades you all use the lady time I picked some up it was like 10 bucks a 10 pack at CVS they've held up fairly well but still not cheap.

For what like trimming deer hair?

I can tell you this, there's a huge difference in the cheap storebrand double edge razor blades versus a good brand like Wilkeson@.

I can get 10 bass bugs out of a Wilkeson blade and maybe three out of a cheap blade

Me, I don't worry about whether I'm buying the sharpest blade around - as long as they're double edged and brand new - it's how you use them that counts for me.... I take every new double edged blade and crack it in half, lengthwise (I use a small pair of nippers to hold the blade in the middle of the short end -then very carefully bend it back and forth until it cracks - then repeat on the other side so that I end up with two single edged blades....

Yes, it's nice to have blades that last a bit - but not necessary... As long as you immediately toss any blade that starts to drag instead of cut you're in business... I've bought blades on line, in drug stores - and even in grocery stores back when they carried a selection and usually opted for the cheapest I could find....

Must admit that I always did my best to avoid tying anything spun and clipped as a commercial tyer - too time consuming to be profitable...

But they do work on the water....

If you have a prime account then Amazon is a good place to get 100 packs or a variety pack of 100. Some under $10. I've gotten both. You can get carried away reading the reviews as some are passionate about their shave and there are lots of brands. Some brands might be slightly better than others when it comes to trimming hair but not much. I used to break the blades in two but no more. The few times I've cut myself was from grabbing something from the bench and not while holding the blade. So it is a good idea to only have one or two exposed blades and dispose of the others.

For what like trimming deer hair?

I can tell you this, there's a huge difference in the cheap storebrand double edge razor blades versus a good brand like Wilkeson@.

I can get 10 bass bugs out of a Wilkeson blade and maybe three out of a cheap blade

I agree with Mike, better quality blades are worth a little more. I use Wilkinson's for pretty much all my deer hair trimming. I have tried Kroger brand and another German brand I found in an emergency at WalMart, and none of them were as good as the Wilkinson's, in my opinion. Where I differ a little is how frequently I toss them. If I am trimming smaller deer hair jobs, like heads on streamers, yes I get a few flies from a blade. On a larger deer hair bug, like a bigger bass bug, one bug=one blade, more or less. When I start having to really push a blade through the hair, that's my cue to toss it. In my experience, that's when bad things happen while trimming. Bad trims, gouged bodies, and nicked fingers seemed to always happen for me when I tried to get too much from a blade. So at the first sign of dulling, I toss it.

As much as I detest the place, Wal-Mart still carries them at a competitive price. If you can go before 9am, it usually isn't too bad. After 10am, though, I won't go near the place.

Just ordered a 100 pack of Wilkinson for 9 bucks on ebay, even ships from my own state so hopefully it doesn't take to long to get here.

I don't do a whole lot of deer hair bugs, when I need them I pick up whatever CVS has in stock. I think I have Gillette now. I might get to use them this weekend. My salt water club is having a tying class and deer hair bugs are on the agenda. Like Capt Bob, I snap mine in half but I use my fingers to do it. Still have all of them. Just gets a little tense before the snap.

I think I got Gillette from CVS the last time, I do a decent amount of deer hair tying, the biggest thing is it would be nice to not have to think about it being a little do but being hesitant to thrust it away because of cost.