Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
David (again)

Hello From Austin!

Hello everyone,

I am returning to fly fishing after a 30+ year hiatus. I had access to a private, 38 acre lake in the early 80's. I fished with a $39 combo that has a 9 foot, 7 wt fiberglass Diawa Rod with Scientific Anglers reel that I still have. I fished for anything that would take a yellow or black popper. I lost access to the lake by the mid-80's but decided to give it another try a couple of months ago. I did it right this time and bought a 4 wt TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Rod and Ross Eddy reel with great floating line. I took a casting lesson from Living Waters Fly Shop and took my first fly tying class at the local Orvis shop this past weekend. I tied my first Wooly Bugger! I haven't hooked my first fish yet although I got close when a bluegill took my fly right at the edge of the water but got off before I set the hook. Gotta pay them dues I guess. I haven't been out that many times so far but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm working on my casting and will start tying some flies for the February White Bass runs and any other fishing I can get in.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you for many years.

Take care,

David Gaines

(David (again))

Austin, Texas

Hello everyone,

I am returning to fly fishing after a 30+ year hiatus. I had access to a private, 38 acre lake in the early 80's. I fished with a $39 combo that has a 9 foot, 7 wt fiberglass Diawa Rod with Scientific Anglers reel that I still have. I fished for anything that would take a yellow or black popper. I lost access to the lake by the mid-80's but decided to give it another try a couple of months ago. I did it right this time and bought a 4 wt TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Rod and Ross Eddy reel with great floating line. I took a casting lesson from Living Waters Fly Shop and took my first fly tying class at the local Orvis shop this past weekend. I tied my first Wooly Bugger! I haven't hooked my first fish yet although I got close when a bluegill took my fly right at the edge of the water but got off before I set the hook. Gotta pay them dues I guess. I haven't been out that many times so far but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm working on my casting and will start tying some flies for the February White Bass runs and any other fishing I can get in.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you for many years.

Take care,

David Gaines

(David (again))

Austin, Texas

Welcome, post pictures of flies and fish when convenient...

Welcome to the site, David. Good to see you, Again, for the first time

Good luck with the fishing and tying.

Welcome David, to the forums, and welcome back to the wonderful world of fly fishing and fly tying. :) We're glad to have you. We'd love to see some pics of your flies and fishing adventures when you get a chance.

I was just reading about Austin, TX and the fact that it's considered to have some of the most favorable weather in the U.S. I've been in Michigan for 20 years and dearly love the rivers and lakes and their fish up here, but the winters are starting to wear on my wife and I as we get older. :)

Anyway welcome!

Bryon

immelletto, please introduce yourself. Start your own thread or contiue on this, so we can properly welcome you.

Note, that link may be BROKEN.

It's spam, FRn. The misspellings give it away. The last three words clinch it. It's now been reported.