Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Help me find a caddis body wrap

I was watching a video a while back, and they used this material to wrap the caddis that looked awesome. I have seen the same material used for wrapping grubs and what not. It was super realistic looking, and when wrapped had a natural ribbing (body segments) by just the way the material properties were. It looked almost gummy. I am trying to figure out what that is. Sorry that this is not a lot of info for it. But maybe someone might know what I'm talking about.

I was watching a video a while back, and they used this material to wrap the caddis that looked awesome. I have seen the same material used for wrapping grubs and what not. It was super realistic looking, and when wrapped had a natural ribbing (body segments) by just the way the material properties were. It looked almost gummy. I am trying to figure out what that is. Sorry that this is not a lot of info for it. But maybe someone might know what I'm talking about.

I have used Green Larva Lace tubing and clear tubing over colored thread, while creating a QT caddis. Fish approved.

Yes, I use D-rib sometimes, and it works well. But this made something special. HAHA I will try and find a picture of a fly like it. It was supper grubby

Yes, I use D-rib sometimes, and it works well. But this made something special. HAHA I will try and find a picture of a fly like it. It was supper grubby

Post more info when you find it. That catgut of Lucian's recent thread looked more greenish on the "wet" pic s

When in doubt find a McPhail video! HAHA This looks to be what I'm looking for. Just straight latex. I wonder if those other materials are basically this, just pre-cut and much more expensive? Basically I probably could just use a latex glove or condom. HAHA

The Nymph Skin or latex sheet that Davie uses is much thicker than either a glove or condom. I can tell you that from tying the Vladi Worm that uses a pink condom that the condom material dries out and degrades in a short period of time compared to the latex sheet or Nymph Skin material.

I looked into the material from JS but I didn't want all the colors that you had to take in that combo pack and I didn't want the multi width strips that came in that pack.

I bought the natural and caddis green in the Nymph Skin and truth be told, you could get away with just the natural and change the color with the underbody and/or a marker like Davie Mc did.

The Nymph Skin or latex sheet that Davie uses is much thicker than either a glove or condom. I can tell you that from tying the Vladi Worm that uses a pink condom that the condom material dries out and degrades in a short period of time compared to the latex sheet or Nymph Skin material.

I looked into the material from JS but I didn't want all the colors that you had to take in that combo pack and I didn't want the multi width strips that came in that pack.

I bought the natural and caddis green in the Nymph Skin and truth be told, you could get away with just the natural and change the color with the underbody and/or a marker like Davie Mc did.

cool thanks. I think I'm gonna try a condom fly though, would be funny as at least a story rather than just a usable fly. But ill probably use it. Like I talk to my buddies... "Yeah bro, I caught a fish on a condom!, No joke!" "Yes I'm that good..." HAHA

I will try the natural for sure of the nymph skin and color it, thanks! Do you think a magic marker (sharpie) will work fine? Or is that gonna be too thick of a color treatment? Like it looks like the pens McPhail uses puts a thin coat, and isn't fully opaque.

Everyone travels around at sometime! Most cities have a flyshop & most flyshops have a bargin bin! At a huge saving, something you don't need now? Will be needed later for sure! Found MP magic heads for less then half price last time in another cities flyshop! Wish i bought more then 2 packs now!

Everyone travels around at sometime! Most cities have a flyshop & most flyshops have a bargin bin! At a huge saving, something you don't need now? Will be needed later for sure! Found MP magic heads for less then half price last time in another cities flyshop! Wish i bought more then 2 packs now!

Yes thank you. I wish I could travel more. Hoping things clear up with my schedule that allow for this though. I used to travel a lot. Many of my fly tying materials are from bargain bins, and many aren't even marked. I have lots of stuff that I have no clue what it is. Just, in the last year I haven't gotten to travel... Oh well.

I have some silicone jelly Spinnerbait Skirts, from Jann's- I believe. I will tie up a caddis. I fear some work -arounds from lure building materials because some of that wiggly stuff eats up tackle boxes and do not wish to risk my nice fly storage.

Any other lure builders know?

I use Sharpie Markers. You can make the color more translucent by lightly wiping with your finger before the marker has dried.

Cool! Ok sounds good, I will try that.

I think the answer is UV chewy skin. I has a shiny side and a dull side so you can tie the caddis two ways. The packaging has the shiny side out.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-uv-chewee-skin

UV_Chewee_Skin_thumb_380_285.jpg

DSCF7652-2.jpg

post-27478-0-67162500-1488121670_thumb.jpg