Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bluegill hunter swap

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

Mine arrived today -- very nice work by everyone! This is a great set of bluegill flies and I plan on getting them wet very soon. :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#77 ColonelMel

ColonelMel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Got mine today. Great flies, great tiers, great swapmeister! Thanks.

The true fisherman will fish for what is hitting. If minnows are all that is hitting, he will fish for minnows.

#78 Powershooter

Powershooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

I got mine today , they look awesome . I hope my son and I can use them this weekend . Thank you everyone.
Bo Hamby

#79 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

What a honey of a bee. Every fly in here is worthy of use and praise but there always seems to be one fly that stands out among all the sterling quality in our swaps and Byron's bee is probably the nicest bee copy I've every had. I have bunches of bees, nearly enough for them to gather for a migration, but almost all are chenille like mine, hard bodied wasps with UV, and assorted other styles but none has been tied of clipped hair before. That is an amazing feat in my eyes and commend you Master Bryon. I certainly hope to get  to use every fly here this year but will not use the bee unless I have a spot with NO trees or tall grass behind me.

Edit to correct misspells and words left out. Boink

#80 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

What a hone of a bee. Every fly in here is worthy of use and praise but there always seems to be one fly that stands out among all the sterling quality in our swaps and Byron's bee is probably the nicest bee copy I've every had. I have bunches of bees, nearly enough for them to gather for a migration, but almost all are chenille like mine, hard bodied wasps with UV, and assorted other styles but none has been tied of clipped hair before. That is an amazing feat in my eyes and commend you Master Bryon. I certainly hope to get  to use every fly here this year but will not use the bee unless I have a spot with trees or tall grass behind me.

Thanks for the kind words vicrider, although I can't take credit for the pattern itself, as it was invented by the late, great Rusty Gates, longtime owner of Gates Au Sable Lodge and Fly Shop in Grayling, MI. It is my favorite of all the bee patterns I've ever run across. Bluegills seem to love it, and it catches trout, too. :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#81 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words vicrider, although I can't take credit for the pattern itself, as it was invented by the late, great Rusty Gates, longtime owner of Gates Au Sable Lodge and Fly Shop in Grayling, MI. It is my favorite of all the bee patterns I've ever run across. Bluegills seem to love it, and it catches trout, too. :)

I tried tying one of these last weekend so was pleasantly surprised to see it in the box. Those wings are tough; I never did get them right. You did a great job with it and I'll be studying it to see if I can get mine to work.

Of course, everyone did a great job. I got a few of them wet yesterday and even caught a fish or two. :D

#82 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Got mine yesterday.  Nice set of flies.  Look like fish getters to me.

#83 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Got some very nice flies in the mail today.

Mine will work on gills, crappie and bass.

Rick

#84 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Got mine! Thx guys and for hosting. I really like all of them especially the bee and the flies Vicrider tied.