Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

CDC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeffD

JeffD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

If i dont have CDC, is there something i may have in inventory i can use in place?

#2 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Welcome Jeff D, you have come to the correct venue for some help.  It is a very good question because CDC has some unique properties.  If you could be more specific about what application you are going to make of it, many experts can chime in.  For instance if you need to create a parachute post, there are a number of synthetic and organic materials that you might substitute such as macramé (polyolefin) yarns, other poly yarns, perhaps some deer or calf hair.

What pattern are you trying to complete?  Many will be glad to help out....

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#3 JeffD

JeffD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Well i would like to tie a Quil Body CDC Mayfly Emerger. I seems like it would be a deadly fly because of the life stage it imitates. I do have calf tail that would work for the parachute post but, my problem is the CDC thats fold over the body. Thank you for your help.

#4 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Snowshoe rabbit foot fur can be used as a substitute for CDC in some flies. Here is your "Quill Body CDC Mayfly Emerger" fly.

23a9f68d3f2d340d97200c23a475090c.jpg

Here is a snowshoe rabbit foot emerger below. Since you don't have CDC, substitute PT fibers for the CDC thorax pullover and use a smaller amount of snowshoe fur on the CDC fly above and it will be close enough. Of course you need Snowshoe Rabbit Feet!!! 

IMGP5828.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#5 JeffD

JeffD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thank you for that Silver Creek.

#6 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

If you have a Chickabou pelt (chicken marabou) it makes a good sub for CDC if you TREAT it with a silicone spray like Scotch Guard or Kiwi Kamp Dry Just "hose down" the pelt with spray and hang it up to dry for a day or two. Fluff the dry pelt up before using it. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#7 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Snowshoe rabbit foot fur can be used as a substitute for CDC in some flies. Here is your "Quill Body CDC Mayfly Emerger" fly.

23a9f68d3f2d340d97200c23a475090c.jpg

Here is a snowshoe rabbit foot emerger below. Since you don't have CDC, substitute PT fibers for the CDC thorax pullover and use a smaller amount of snowshoe fur on the CDC fly above and it will be close enough. Of course you need Snowshoe Rabbit Feet!!! 

IMGP5828.jpg

BY the way , Silver, have you ever used the snowshoe underfur for, emerger dries, etc.? I find it floats flies really well.

#8 McGnat

McGnat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

Yep, chickaboo will work. I tried it a couple years ago. You can treat it with the Bergman formula or Rustoleum Neverwet for fabrics. It is the single step formula that comes in a blue spray bottle. I treat the chickaboo after the fly is tied. All those fine fuzzy barbules give a lot of surface area like CDC. You do have to fluff it after treating it.