Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Midges

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

My buddy wants me to tie him some dry midge flies-flies that work on top. Would you say some type of midge emerger would fish better than a straight dun? I'm looking for a simple pattern and I can't find one I like. 

Thanks

#2 Kimo

Kimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Try Charlie Craven's Mole Fly.

http://www.charliesf...fm?parentID=144

Mole_black_side.jpg

Kimo

#3 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

If the fish are taking emergers, you want a fly that will suspend in the surface film - not

on top like a dry fly.  There are lots of patterns to choose from.  The effectiveness will

depend on the sizes and colors of your buddy's hatching midges. 

Use a wet fly hook (I use mostly sizes 14 to 18)

Fine thread in a matching color to the body material (I use 12/0 Benecchi)

Colored body material (I use Uni-Stretch in Black, Olive, Red, and other "attractor" colors)

X-Small gold or silver wire

Fine or Superfine dubbing in a contrasting color to the body for the thorax

Grizzly hen cape feather (or speckled brown hen saddle) for the hackle

Attached Files

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,073 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Griffith's Gnat.  It's about the simplest (tiny) topwater fly I've ever seen.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

shouldn't your friend be telling you what he wants you to tie?  

the gales of November remembered...

#6 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

My buddy wants me to tie him some dry midge flies-flies that work on top. Would you say some type of midge emerger would fish better than a straight dun?

On top means dries so I agree with a Griffith's Gnat and the identical pattern tied with black hackle. They imitate midge clusters. As you can see in the photo below, the clusters are much larger than the actual size of the adult midge. Tie them in a size 14, which is the size that Gary Borger uses. Note the individual cluster at the very top of the photo. This is the type of cluster a Griffith's gnat imitates

trout-rising-to-midge-cluster.jpg

BTW, there are no midge duns. Dun is the common name for the immature adult stage mayfly and not a adult midge.

http://www.troutnut....ting-to-spinner

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#7 Bruce Norikane

Bruce Norikane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Cheech's Bunny midge

http://www.flyfishfo...unny-midge.html

Bunny+Midge.jpg

#8 Kimo

Kimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

Here is another alternative via Roy Christie Reverse-Parachute.
A bit of a challenge for novices but very doable if you take it a step at a time.
And yes, they do fish really well.

16487069_10154049136437003_9303317511019

Kimo

#9 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

Midge's vary considerably in size depending on location and if they are in stillwater or in a stream. Find out from your friend what size he wants.

Sprout Midge http://www.west-fly-...69-sprout-midge

Also California Mosquito, Shuttlecock Midge and Shipman's Buzzer.

#10 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

My buddy feels 18s and 20s will work. I forgot there are no midge duns.

Cheech's Bunny midge seem pretty cool. I found out with midges that simple is best.

I do tie the Griffith's Gnat, but there are times the trout want something different.

Thanks for all of your comments and keep them coming. I enjoy learning and refreshing my memory, even after all these years.

#11 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

This is my go to midge pattern called the Wissahickon Midge.  This one's tied on a size 20.   No more complicated to tie than the others.  Body is a black and a red brown CDC feather twisted together and wrapped on the shank.  Wing is white CDC.   Can be fished as a dry or an emerger. It's caught a lot of fish for me in various parts of the northeast.

Attached File  wissahickon_midge1.jpg   53.22KB   0 downloads

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#12 NohackleHS

NohackleHS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

A VERY simple, effective midge is essentially a Troth Elk Hair Caddis without the palmered hackle.  Dub a body.  Stack the elk (or deer) hair and tie it on as you would on the elk hair caddis.  That's it.  You can vary the color of the elk or deer hair and vary the color of the dubbing to match the naturals.  I used to fish a lot of spring creeks and this fly was as effective as any other midge I used.  However, as the years went by, more and more fly shops started selling similar flies and their effectiveness dropped a bit.  The good news is that they are SO simple to tie and you only need two materials.  My first flies were dubbed with black or grey dubbing and natural deer hair.