Fly Tying
Papa Baske

Small Seatrout from Denmark

Here's a little video of a small Seatrout i caught today i my hometown fjord, while testing my new Gopro. It took a Glass-Shrimp nearly by my feet. The carefull observer will note how i with elegance screw up the first cast. I know the music isn't to everyone's liking, but you can't please everybody all the time. Have a look and please drop me some feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlxZJmCD9Pw

It's the only way i fish the flies i tie. Never learned how to use a flyrod even though i have one somewhere. Maybe some day :)

I know a guy who fished that way, his son tied the flies and they fished the flies with spinning gear and one of those plastic bubbles you fill part way with water. Mostly they used hares ear nymphs and woolly buggers, quite successfully from what I could tell.

Pretty little fish. Is that "glass" a floating bubble, or a sinking solid piece? Do you have a close up, or an ad picture of it?

Hi Mike. The floats are solid and can be found in floating, intermidiate and sinking. I always use intermidiate and clear. If you google "bombarda float" a lot of pictures will show up. Also on the setup. Basically the float is set up sliding on the mainline and a swirvel at the end. The float os only for casting weight and to drag the flie under the surface. I then use a FC leader roughly one and a half times the rod lenght. The fish dont mind the float. Actually they sometimes hit the float.

Thanks. I looked them up. Those are pretty cool looking. I have some clear Zara Spooks, and the fish tear them up. Why they'd hit clear is beyond me, but they work.

When I first saw it in the video, I thought it WAS the lure you were using, but I couldn't see the hook. Then I realized what it was. I believe, if you put a hook on, and let it slide up to the float, that float would get hits. Like a clear tube fly, if that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

I use a 1-3/4-2oz top water plug to propel sand eel patterns out somewhere near the middle of our canal out here. In the later summer the striped bass tend to hit those and little 2" bunker patterns somewhat readily..