Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Warm Water / Top Water Swap..

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 rht95

rht95

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Got mine monday. These are some great flies, good job everyone. Hopefully I'll put them in the water this weekend.

#62 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Just got my mail and my flies. They all look great cant wait to try them. I am going up to a small private pond for 4 day in the morning so I will be trying these out. I'm in ca and the heat right now is brutal. Its 110 now where I live , but the pond is up in the mountains it is supposed to be a high of 95 so see what that does to the fishing. Thanks again guy, and to Mike for hosting,

#63 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Mike again; thanks for the popper heads.
My first step was to put on a top coat of Etec, and then for a spin on the lure turner.
I completed putting the finishing touches on your popper heads yesterday.
I have to say you have some mad painting skills.

All are great but, I especially like the Stippled one.

BAT2CFE.jpg

BTW what material did you use for this little chartreuse popper head, and how did you make it?

I put a top coat of Etec on this one too while I was coating the others.

2iKiSTW.png

#64 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

Thx and nice job on finishing them. Never heard of Etec, going have google it. All of the poppers I sent out were coated with Sally Hansen's and Liquid Fusion.

That one was made with cylinder foam and shaped on a Dremel tool. Got the idea here:

http://www.flyangler.../062606fotw.php

#65 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Thanks.
I call it Etec,but it's actually envirotex-lite.
Get it at Michaels or AC Moore with a 50% coupon.
http://www.michaels..../M10178984.html

It has a long open time and cures to a hard finish that will not yellow.
Cures in 8 hours, but is a little tacky. In 3 days it is rock hard and not tacky.