Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Ultimate Challenge - Your Greatest Nightmare Fly Swap

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#16 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Haven't tied many of them but every time I try to do a parachute fly things seem to go sideways. This seems like a good chance to get some practice.

#17 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

BB go ahead and sign me up for something would you, I'll leave it up to you anything where I have to follow directions is a nightmare for me.

#18 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Also glad to hear your daughter is recovering.

#19 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

Wmw4, with a Username like "Breambuster" don't think I couldn't assign you a warmwater pattern also. I'll be glad to do either, just let me know. I've got you down as having joined the swap. Do you want a dry fly pattern or a dry fly or something that could go either way? 

Let me know.

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#20 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

Dflanagan, you're in. Let me think about a Parachute pattern. It would be too easy for me just to say, "Parachute Adams." I promise not to make it too tough. And I'll get back with you on it. 

Take care

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#21 wmw4

wmw4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

BB,

Seems like most people are doing trout style flies so I thought that might fit in with the set better and I wouldn't mind trying a dry. A dry fly or dry fly pattern would be fine. If we're going to include warmwater stuff I have the hardest time keeping foam centered on the hook when tying hoppers and the like. I'll leave it up to you.

Thanks!

#22 GP flyfisherman

GP flyfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

BB, sorry to hear about your daughter but I'm glad she is doing better. My thoughts are with you and family.

I'm looking forward to starting my fly it will be good practice.

#23 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Vicente, I'm glad to have you join us. Your assignment will be an H & L (House And Lot) Variant. I like the materials list on this one, , but I think I would prefer, myself, to tie in the wings first. 

Have fun

BB

#24 jburge

jburge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

BB, first off, great news on your daughter! It's always a scary thing to hear "news" about your kids. So glad she'll be recovering quickly.

As to the swap, like some warm water fish I've met, "I'll bite." I've tried it in the past but continue to avoid it--spinning deer hair. I'll go ahead and take the challenge primarily because I had the privilege of sitting at the same table as Shawn West at the Northwest Fly Tying Fly Fishing Expo in Albany, OR in March. If y'all haven't seen his work, it's phenomenal! (Google "Shawn West fly tying") I *think* I have some tips and ideas that'll help with whatever pattern you come up with. So (gulp), I'm in.

Oh, and just so you know, I won't be able to match his artistry until I've spun deer hair for 150 years.

#25 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

wmw4, It's amazing what us fly fishermen can come up with. I've got just the thing for you. It's a terrestrial pattern for trout called the Moodah Poodah! Take a look.   It reminds me of the Preditor which is my go to bream (bluegill) fly. And it will give you some practice with foam. So that's your assignment. 

Enjoy, I'm sure the trout and bluegills both will. 

BB

#26 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

Jburge! Just the fellow I've been looking for. I was hoping someone would say "Spinning Deer Hair!" I've got just the thing for you. It's called the "Irresistible" or the "Rat Faced McDougal. Now with a name like that, how can you go wrong? Here's what you'll be tying. https://www.youtube....h?v=Ha_M4Lsj6Kw. That ought to give you some experience with spinning deer hair. Not too tough, but getting enough deer hair packed on and then trimming that taper will give you some practice with deer hair. 

Glad to have you join us.

BB

#27 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Looks like fun, I'll pick up some calf body hair and get started, I doubt have any barred hackle that color but do have some plain dark red.

#28 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

Sounds good, Vicente. Red Hackle will work just fine. 

Take care

BB

#29 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Well, dflanagan, after looking at a lot of Parachutes, I am abundantly reminded that the Parachute Adams is, far and away, the most popular Parachute pattern. So, let me take back what I said earlier and assign you that pattern. Dflanagan, your assignment is the Parachute Adams. Good luck with it. 

Take care

BB

#30 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

We've got 5 slots left and there are a couple of people thinking about one of those slots, so if you're on the bubble, don't stay there too long. Let me know that you're in the the type of fly you'd like to tie and I'll assign you something. 

Take care

BB