Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Can't See

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Got this Led light @ Sams for $40 this week.
Pivoting light has hi-low settings, tool holder trays, 4 outlets, and two USB ports.

Attached Files

#17 GPflyboy

GPflyboy

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

I'll have to check that out ,looks pretty cool Thanks

#18 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

I plan to mount the light to a 2x6 with a leg on each end.
This way I can move it around.
Phone pictures taken with brightest setting.

#14 Adams
Attached File  2017-06-28 23.13.41.jpg   113.24KB   0 downloads

#2/0 Smelt
Attached File  2017-06-28 23.13.14.jpg   57.38KB   0 downloads

#19 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

This is the lamp I use. Very compact since it folds up. It has 5 different light temperatures (3000K, 3500K, 4000K, 5000K & 6000K) and 5 levels of brightness.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B01H4ZBRWS

31qy4v8mofL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#20 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

I just posted my first fly (Wooly Bugger) and was ok ,But now tried to tye a prince nymph on a #14 and having trouble seeing detail .What is the best choice of seeing better . By the way i just started wearing reading glasses 1.5 power two years ago,get old stinks

I searched the 'net for high power reading glasses. go to www.readers.com They will have just what you need. I used to use a magnifying lamp but it's decidedly inferior to readers. Of course a nice bright lamp is key too

#21 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Me, too. I found the magnifying lights (the circular light and lens) destroyed my depth perception, making it kinda hard to tie. I use cheapo reading glasses for tying. My most powerful is 4.0, but I find I use 3.5 much more often. And, yes,a decent light really helps.

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#22 Tom Cummings

Tom Cummings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

I use non script dial each eye glasses with led directed lighting. Works great

#23 David 82nd

David 82nd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Question on the " L.E.D " lighting ? Does this create " ghosting or shadows ? , i currently have a nice " Ott " light , works nice
I'm looking to add an additional light to bench but I think sometimes I get like a Ghosting effect ? Anybody experience this or are my eyes so bad it's me? Ugh. I use cheater glasses 4.50 ,

#24 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

Question on the " L.E.D " lighting ? Does this create " ghosting or shadows ? , i currently have a nice " Ott " light , works nice
I'm looking to add an additional light to bench but I think sometimes I get like a Ghosting effect ? Anybody experience this or are my eyes so bad it's me? Ugh. I use cheater glasses 4.50 ,

I haven't had any problem with ghosting.  I use a couple cheap clamp desk lamps and upgraded to LED bulbs.  Went with 5000k and 100W equivalent LEDs to get super bright.  Having one on either side of the vice helped eliminate any shadow from my hand.

35359309793_d846a9b223_z.jpg

#25 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

I did the same thing, replaced the 40w bulb with a 460 Lumen, 6w. bulb from Cree.  There are no more shadows that there would be from a standard light bulb, and it's much brighter, with a lot less heat. 

I do still like my Ott, and use it when I travel.  The 13w. Tube does a great job, but is not as flexible as the desk lamp on a swing arm.

#26 onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Yup, been there done that. Time for a magnifier and glasses.Jumpy.gif