Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Quack! Had to try a duckling

A friend of my tagged me in Hook Shots video yesterday of a super speed tying of a duckling. This was my first try at spinning hair so be easy on me. Also I didn't have any lighter colored deer hair so this one is made from Pronghorn Antelope, and colored with sharpies. Hook is a 6/0 Ahrex Predator Stinger hook. Was a lot of fun, and definetly out of my wheel house. But sometimes you just have to try something different.

Bonus is I scared the heck out of one of the office ladies with it. ;)

post-43467-0-94766600-1497356206_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-82445300-1497356210_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-63216400-1497356217_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-95219000-1497356222_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-13904900-1497356231_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-11988300-1497356237_thumb.jpg

It'll be a bear to cast. It's going to land on the water like a leaping frog. It's going to push water like a hippo.

But it'll float like a duck and get hit on like a hot chick at a fraternity party.

Okay, the last one isn't actually an animal reference, really ... but I like the looks of that duckling!

Cool looking creation. In all my time on bass, pike, and musky waters I've never seen a fish eat a duckling. However, I've seen several plucked off the surface by hawks and eagles, one within 15 feet of me. I hope you only find fish with your fly, an eagle can really rip line in a hurry.

When I was up in Canada, in my younger days, I watched a couple of northerns put a serious dent in a group of ducklings on a lake one day, momma duck wasn't real happy and they exited quite quickly after 3 disappeared.

Blane

Rice Lake, also in Canada, Badhabit: I watched as a line of ducklings became ... less.

I was 14, sitting on a boat fishing one side of a small cove. I I was watching a hen and 6 ducklings swimming in a row, on the other side of the cove.

As I watched, the last ducking in the row disappeared. I assumed it dived under, until the next one went. I SAW it go, as it was pulled under. Then the next one.

There were 3 still following Momma, all of them unaware that the other's were gone. A pike or musky (I'd never seen either before this trip) took the last one in that line by going airborne, coming down on and scattering the remaining birds.

When I got back to camp, I was telling my story and one of the locals says it's quite common on that lake.