Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

A coyote fly that landed me my personal best native brook trout

This "hybrid" fly has been working great for me the last couple weeks. I kind of refined it a bit from my concept. I have caught wild fish, native fish, and stocked fish on this pattern. I wanted a fly that I could fish dead drift like a nymph, swing like a soft hackle, and strip like a streamer and so far it has produced all three ways I have fished it.

the recipe is as follows:

Hook: size 6-10 3xl daiichi streamer hook

bead: 3.8mm tungsten black

thread: Danville 140 denier in tan

tail: coyote mask (pick a decent section from below the eyes and on the nose area)

ribbing: French tinsel, oval, in gold

body: coyote fur (I pick from the area around the ears and try to mix in guard hairs)

hackle: reverse tied coyote fur (pick from the back of the mask, include guard hairs, pick out under fur, turn hair tips away from tail of fly, push hair over the bead, keeping in centered, Make a few wraps to secure, snip off excess, if you didn't trim the fur before tying in, use hollowed pen to fold hair back over itself, and secure)

collar: coyote fur, pick from same area as body

I went out this morning before work to a stream I have never fished before. It is truly a tiny little PA mountain stream. I was in awe with the nice native I landed on this pattern. He was under the small rock in the shallow pool in pic Stream5. I honestly say these guys have replaced wild brown trout as my favorite fish to catch. The colors, the scenery, and the overall experience is just amazing when fishing for native brook trout.

The fly in the picture is just a "stock" type photo. I use barbless but that one was hot off the vise before I pinched the barb.

post-43467-0-16209900-1499449340_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-80919100-1499449354_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-46003100-1499449361_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-33998800-1499449367_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-11771600-1499449374_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-85295900-1499449379_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-98014800-1499449384_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-45413800-1499449390_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-72272000-1499449395_thumb.jpg

Native brookies are by far my favorite to catch for the same reasons you listed (wait till they get their spawning colors in the fall!) I like the fly and will definitely being tying up some coyote uglies! thanks for the post mike

I like multipurpose flies. Kind of reminds me of a marabou muddler or something like that. Others have said it resembles a sparrow nymph. lol either way it just popped in my head and I threw it on the vise. LOL

bowmike, that,s the best part about fly tying..you can ty whatever pops in your head and it catches fish...well, sometimes.

I know a couple western Pa "native" streams which flow into bigger waters, which I've caught brookies up to 14" in the fall. Totally incredible, these are small streams which are not part of any brookie-stocked watershed. I haven't fished them in several years but the colors are amazing in the fall and really have to be seen to be believed.

Small stream brookies are my favorite kind of fishing. Beautiful little streams like your picture are just so relaxing, so peaceful.

Now I gotta get a coyote mask. That's a nice looking fly.