Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Started shopping at new shop

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

jstockard advertises "10000 fly tying items in stock" which is a little misleading. they probably have multiple quantities of different fly tying materials but i doubt they have 10000 individual items in stock. regardless of how many items they have, they are still my #1 online shop followed by bears den. they both have the materials that suit my tying needs.

i lived in the denver area fron 1980-1991 and that was a mecca of flyshops. i spent a bunch of money in anglers all, royal stevens, the trout fisher, complete angler to name a few and many other shops in montana, utah, wyoming etc 

then in 1983, my job sent me out to vandenberg air force base in lompoc california to work on the air force space shuttle launch complex. while there, i did take a drive down to los angeles and stopped in to marriotts shop. it was ok for a fly shop back then but i wouldnt know about today. i do remember getting their catalog which was as thick as a small cities phone book. one year the was an article about me fishing the big horn river in montana written by jack sayers (pen name: gray ugly)

and dont forget about your local home, hobby and craft shops for a multitude of fly tying items. i support fly shops but i also support craft shops for the same items that are over price in fly shops

so in the long run, if there is an online fly shop, brick or mortar fly shop, cabelas, bass pro shop that serves YOUR purpose for tying materials so be it. its your choice

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#17 BobHRAH

BobHRAH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

I have to add Whitetail Fly Tieing in Geneva, IL which used to be owned by Chris Helm.  Incredible selection of antlered animal hair.  Since acquisition, Mike and Nancy have broadened the selection even more, including a fair number of exotic bird and animal items.  More thread and hooks than I have ever seen locally.  If you're in the Chicago area, try to stop by.  But, call first to make sure they're home as that is where their business is. 

Thanks, Bob H

#18 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

My go to online shop is http://www.castersonlineflyshop.com/ 

Steve-stabgnid

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#19 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

I've perused Bob Marriott's site before, but between J Stockard, Caddis Fly Shop, FlyFishFood and a couple others, I get everything I need.  Unfortunately the only local supply I have is at Bass Pro and Cabelas, and only go there if I need just one or two common items I know they stock.  Even then, half the time BP or Cabela's is out of stock.

No single shop has everything, and can usually drive myself crazy trying to put a single order together from one place.