Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Going to spend 500.00 on a pole. Orvis or llbean brand. Opinions pls

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

Everything is about money and stature for some. If you can cast you can cast. If you can fish you can fish. If you can't you can always spend more money and look good along the way.

#62 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,429 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

The premise that any rod can do anything a top end fly rod can do is laughable on its face. Many -- most?-- will not progress in or even stay with the sport w/o improving over entry level equipment. 

Rocco

Seeing as you dated yourself mikechell you may be interested in flaming me on vise. Current is renzeti 2000 pedestal. Buying a regal same set up. Not a pair of vise grips as you seem to be a cheap ole fart that thinks your antiques are comparable. Before you flame maybe you should try or research. Your completely off base and wrong.

Actually, Tom ... I wasn't flaming you.  Sorry if you got that impression.   I have no problems with people spending their own money on whatever they want to.

I was replying to Rocco's comment that "... many --most?-- ..." people will not do well with entry level equipment.  I've been doing quite well with mine for decades.

Oh, and I DON'T have "antique" $39.00 rods ... unless 4 or 5 years old is considered antique these days.

http://www.basspro.c...oductextensions

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#63 Tom Cummings

Tom Cummings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

Sry. I was in a mood. Bad day with work short fused. I honestly don't know of any fly rods for 40.00. Mid grade I see is 425.00 low end 125.00 and Wal-Mart sells by order around low end eagle claw. Cost is for combo not just rod. I do apologize for my outburst. As for vise I now own both regal and renzeti. The regal cost more does less but does change hooks easier