Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Micro streamer colors - which one works for you?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hi guys, 

I have a question regarding colors for  streamers. I use micro streamer to catch grayling, chub, perch and black bass. Sometimes trout because  where I fish I go often to catch grayling. I noticed that rust and black works great but natural grey color and olive not so fantastic. I didn't had so many fish to make a conclusion but I'm curios which are your favorite colors when we talk about  zonker streamers.

These bellow are tied on size #14 hook with squirrel  strips. I had more fish on  orange-rusty  and rare on natural grey:

squirrel-micro-streamers.jpg

Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

Lucian

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

Nice little streamers !

I have the best luck with purple, then black,  and sometimes white. I use rabbit though. I think pink would be good, I actually want to try pink zonkers but its just a hunch.. My hooks are a little bit longer than yours, just long enough to get a little orange tag on and a few wraps of silver tinsel around the hook. You could try a little bunch of what ever color you choose crystal flash or similar off the tail,tied in before the zonker strip goes on. I've had some luck with that.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

hi Lucian..i love these type of flies..mainly #10 with bead chain eyes in black or olive on a 4 wt. sink tip line for ALL panfish..i,m going to try the rust color..thanks.

#4 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

White

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

I don't do a streamer like yours ... but I do like natural colors on most of my flies.

Attached File  panfish attractor.JPG   32.61KB   3 downloads

That one is lighter in the photo than actual.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

Black then olive.  A rusty orange can be useful if you know there are crayfish around, but I've never had much luck with natural gray.

#7 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

are not some leeches that are rusty orange..

#8 FKROW

FKROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

Bright sunny day with clear water = White, Chartreuse

Dark day or dirty water = Black, Purple, dark Olive or Brown.

I also change out the colors until the response to a color is determined.

Regards,

FK