Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Nymph or Flymph or Soft hackle wet fly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

What differentiates the three. What would you call this, besides ugly.  I've noticed some fairly large mayfies, I believe they are Isonychia, on a local river. I'm going out this evening to try this on the smallmouth.

Attached File  flymph nymph.JPG   87.57KB   6 downloads

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

http://www.flymph.co...l/articles.html

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#3 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Nice article. I think I was close to a flymph but went wrong with the bead head and jig hook. I gather from the article that flymphs are meant to represent ascending Mayflies and Caddis, so no need for the weight. 

Mediocre response from the smallmouth,but the fallfish were luvin it.

#4 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

I also think predators can take them to be small baitfish and they can elicit reaction strikes by a fish protecting it's territory. What ever the reason, they work. 

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#5 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

I don't know if that's a flymph or wet fly or what, but I think it looks like a fish-catcher. I like it!

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#6 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Looks like it would fish very well!