Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The New and Improved Fly Swap

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Sounds good Bruce, I will post to the swap thread when they arrive. Thanks!
Bryon

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#32 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Sorry EuroOrBust, I didn't catch that Bruce had quoted your post in his. Sorry about that! I will post on here when your flies arrive as well. :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#33 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

Mike West, your stimulators arrived Monday -- sorry I haven't notified you before now, but as you probably know the site was down for a couple of days. Thanks for the extras too! Those were some interesting ties and I LOVE the poppers!

#34 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Mine are done. Please PM an address.

#35 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Rockworm, PM sent.

#36 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

Bruce Derington your Adamses have arrived. Very nice!

#37 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

vicrider your Woolly Buggers arrived today -- nice job and thanks for the extras! :)

#38 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:16 AM

Byron, I plan to take an hour or two next month, hopefully fishing among a big school of pellet fish, to try a theory I've always held to. My buggers will be a good example to try on but I also want to do it with nymphs and wet flies. My contention is when you swing a set the fish will almost choose the rear bait in the set. I can run the standard bugger last and then switch for equal time and see if the design of the improved bugger does better. I should also try it with a regular bugger and a "Lady of the Guadalupe" which is basically the same as my version of the improved bugger but has the extra bling of the regular bugger with flash and wire wrapping. That version is the go-to fly on the Guadalupe River in TX but after the hurricane who knows what the river flooding and the overflow of the dam with warm water instead of the tailrace water will do to it.

An interesting experiment and I would love to have some more people try it . I've often heard people say they preferred one fly heavily over another only to find out the favored fly was the second fly of the set. With a three fly swing I believe this would still hold up. In my flies, even if someone doesnt agree with the second version of bugger they have a standard olive bugger in there to keep them happy since it is literally a worldwide standard along with a black one.

Nick

#39 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Byron, I plan to take an hour or two next month, hopefully fishing among a big school of pellet fish, to try a theory I've always held to. My buggers will be a good example to try on but I also want to do it with nymphs and wet flies. My contention is when you swing a set the fish will almost choose the rear bait in the set. I can run the standard bugger last and then switch for equal time and see if the design of the improved bugger does better. I should also try it with a regular bugger and a "Lady of the Guadalupe" which is basically the same as my version of the improved bugger but has the extra bling of the regular bugger with flash and wire wrapping. That version is the go-to fly on the Guadalupe River in TX but after the hurricane who knows what the river flooding and the overflow of the dam with warm water instead of the tailrace water will do to it.

An interesting experiment and I would love to have some more people try it . I've often heard people say they preferred one fly heavily over another only to find out the favored fly was the second fly of the set. With a three fly swing I believe this would still hold up. In my flies, even if someone doesnt agree with the second version of bugger they have a standard olive bugger in there to keep them happy since it is literally a worldwide standard along with a black one.

Nick

Interesting theory. I hardly ever fish tandem rigs myself, although it's standard practice for steelhead here in Michigan. I'd be interested to hear what you discover.

#40 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

finished almost half of mine last night, after doing more time consuming flys fire my last two swaps its really nice remembering how fast these can be done.

#41 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

Okay folks we are now just under 2 weeks out to our deadline of October 15 -- looking forward to seeing everyone's flies and getting them on their way back to you all! From what I've seen so far this is going to be a great set of flies. :)

Cheers,

Bryon

#42 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

Mine are all done, just waiting on a day to get em to the po this week.

#43 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

On their way

#44 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

vicente and rockworm, both of your fly sets arrived today. Nice work gentlemen, and thanks for the extras!

#45 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:38 AM

awesome glad they made it.