Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Exotics....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

Butterfly Peacocks
IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg
Mayan Cichlid
IMG_1057.jpg

Clown Knife
IMG_1514.png
And of course DD had to out do Ole Pops...

IMG_1515.png

IMG_1054.jpg
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#2 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

Very nice! Talk about a great day of fishing! That must be at the Osbourne-Ida chain?  

#3 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

The canal between Delray Beach and Boca....
Couple of iguanas , green on da tree, they say they taste like frogs and there is NO LIMIT!!!!!
IMG_1517.png

They got bigmouths and coppernose bream too...
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#4 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

I don't think I'd touch that last fish "DD" is holding. Even if I put protective coating on my fingernails I wouldn't touch it. Just cut the line when it got close to the boat. What fish of those do you eat, or do you? I've had some say the fish taste good but won't eat them from the channels and canals because of the water quality. The Cichlid  looks like it would fillet out like a big sunfish and the peacocks I've heard and read are very good eating from good water. Water quality is so important to all fish but especially those I'd eat, and I love to eat fish.

#5 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

We on a trip....catch and release.....you haven't heard you can't eat your fish and post on this forum. Offends delicate sensitivities on here. Roll eyes...KODA!
https://en.m.wikiped...own_featherback

#6 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:20 AM

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

We left Islmarada 12:30am Wed to beat the traffic. The charter guys were getting ready to motor their boat 10 hours up to Ft Lauderdale to shelter. Their houses are on the water ...very worried! Thoughts and prayers for the Keys locals....

IMG_1545.jpg

#7 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

that's a hell of a trip.... nicely done!

the gales of November remembered...

#8 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

Sweet!  I'd love to see one of those knife fish in person!

#9 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

Denduke
Traffic so bad it is taking 10 hours to get from Islamorada to Fort Lauderdale, wow! It's usually under a 10 hour drive. I was supposed to be there this weekend to fish for lobsters and assorted fish on the reef. Where did you fish out of you don't mind telling. I fish out of Anglers House a lot.

#10 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

They had to motor the charter boat up to Ft Lauderdale then take care of family and home. We used DirtyBoat outa Robbie's stayed at Smugglers Cove. We worked out a reduced deal for me to fly fish and short 3 mi out to the light house. Shoulda been better but DD lost a nice grouper went in a hole and big wahoo at da boat...got some Almaco and good size bee liners off a wreck to EAT!!! KODA
Kudu, I was geared up for the free lance Langostas but after the snorkel trip at Penacamp decided at 68 my lobstering days were over. And that was with scuba.

Thoughts and prayers for the Keys locals with Irma bearing down on them....

IMG_1546.jpg

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

Nice fish DD. It is so weird to see people catching clown knifes out in the wild. I usually only see them in tanks in the aquarium hobby.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#12 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

DD and I drove down from M'sipi to nephews wedding and turned it into great adventure! Ain't got pics back yet of the snorkel trip at Key Largo. Sad to see most all the stag horn coral was dead. Was down there couple of times 40 years ago. Wedding was at Ole Spanish Monastery built in 1100 in Spain and moved to Fla by Randolph Hurst and rebuilt one brick at a time.... truly amazing!
http://www.spanishmo...ery.com/history

IMG_1519.jpg

#13 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

The guys at Dirty Boat are ok and saved the boat. Not sure how their houses faired. Joe's was waters edge??
You can go to "Dirty Boat" on Facebook they got lil action video....this is pic no links there
IMG_1574.png

#14 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

The charter boat guys had a place to tie boats in mangrove channels and saved the boat. Robbie's lost
most of their piers but pilling still there. Hopefully back to feeding the tarpon eventually....Charter business gonna be real tough for awhile....
Pics from Pennecamp Coral Park snorkel deal
IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

All the staghorn/elkhorn coral I saw 40 yrs ago is dead/ broken on the bottom. They are trying to get it reastablished ....
IMG_1576.png
You dads note great for even the young knotheads to enjoy swimming there. The locals gonna need your future business .....

IMG_1608.jpg

#15 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

How do those clown knife fish fight?