Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richz

Not fly fishing buy might be sort of tying

I mainly flyfish but sometimes switch to a baitcaster and use spinner baits. I have a bunch of spinner baits with no skirts. Has anyone used fly tying materials to make some replacements for the rubber skirts?

I'm just the opposite.

I use skirts for silly legs and whatnot. You get more legs per $ from skirts than buying packaged materials.

I use to thread a twist tail worm or "Bass Assassin" type soft plastic on the hook. Get it set on there straight, back it off about 1/4" or so, then put a drop of superglue on the hook. Slide the body back into place. It'll stay in place until a big fish hits it.

Heck yes! I've had spinnerbaits lose the skirt. Either I buy a replacement skirt or I've done a couple of bucktail versions with some flash. ALL Flash a bou is cool too. Tie flash a bou on just like the skirt, so some faces forward and some faces back. Looks good and one I tie with silver and a touch of blue flash has been a producer on the lakes I fish with tons of shad. But I must say that doing what Mike said I a GREAT option too. Put a twistertail on it. Sassy Shads will make a great bait too. Done it. Really any spinnerbait trailer will make the bait still worth fishing.

P.S. I opened my spinnerbait box before to find many of the rubber bands that hold the skirt together rotten. Same with my flipping jigs. Lift the lure out of tackle box to watch the skirt trickle off onto the floor. Is why I went over ALL my spinnerbaits and jigs and tied the skirt on with string. ROT NOW YOU MOTHERS!

When I buy a NEW spinnerbait or flipping jig, the first thing I do is tie the skirt on with string now. Throw the rubber band in the trash.

The rubber band sucks. Is the weak point to both spinnerbaits and jigs.