Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mop Fly Variant

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,422 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

Synthetic materials don't "bleach out" like naturals, usually.  Bleaching probably will not work.

As mentioned above, there are lots of different colors ... seems like they cycle through.  Just wait a bit, and a new color will become available.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

dont diss the blue mops. they have been my best producing color  better than black,white or chart . like the old saying any color will do as long as its blue.   rich mc

#18 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

dont diss the blue mops. they have been my best producing color  better than black,white or chart . like the old saying any color will do as long as its blue.   rich mc

Rich just curious, what species are you using em on? Light or dark blue?

#19 Fenster

Fenster

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

Check your local auto parts store for other colors too. They sell car wash mitts made with this material. I found a nice tan/grey color.

#20 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

Check your local auto parts store for other colors too. They sell car wash mitts made with this material. I found a nice tan/grey color.

Fenster thanks for the tip, I will be on the look out for a grey one since I couldn't find it online.

#21 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

Just about any fly tying material that is found to work ends up in a fly fishing shop.
Bass Pro is selling (White River Fly Shop) mop chenille in 9 different colors.
https://www.google.c...EQwg8IKQ&adurl=

Hey Philly they even have the white you are looking for.

#22 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Well, I do have a $25 gift certificate from Bass Pro they gave me as one of my retirement presents back in June.  Need to spend it on something.  The one around here is located in Atlantic City, NJ.  I was planning on checking out the boat cleaning supplies for mops when I go down to spend it.  I did check out the link, looks like a medium chenille to me.  Doesn't appear to have the diameter of most of the mops I've picked up and one of the main reasons  I think mop flies are effective is the rounded end of the pieces, if you have to cut the chenille pieces you're going to lose that rounded end.  I'll take a look at it, if they have it there, when I go down.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#23 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

the blue is a middle blue not dark and not baby blue came from a duster at dollar store.  i use it for bluegills, crappie and have caught plenty of bass to 15inches

#24 essequamvideri

essequamvideri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

fshng2, 

Love the through back of the Medalist 1495 1/2 reel.  I learned to fish with that on a Fenwick 8 1-/2 foot glass rod until I broke it, Took a huge woopin' from dad, then bought a Fenwick  9' blank and made my first rod.  Still have that rod and the Medalist reel.  

That Picture brought back a flood of memories.  Thank you.

Michael

#25 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Well back in the Dave Whitlock days, it was "It doesn't matter what color it as long as it's yellow"

Then in the late 80s early 90s it was the "Bubblegum" pink color.
My claim to fame is I had something to do with that with Culprit worms.

Then in the late 90s early 2000 it was..." if it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use"

So now it's blue?

#26 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Well back in the Dave Whitlock days, it was "It doesn't matter what color it as long as it's yellow"

Then in the late 80s early 90s it was the "Bubblegum" pink color.
My claim to fame is I had something to do with that with Culprit worms.

Then in the late 90s early 2000 it was..." if it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use"

So now it's blue?

Mike How's this ?

"If It Ain't Blue It Just Won't Do"

#27 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

fshng2, 

Love the through back of the Medalist 1495 1/2 reel.  I learned to fish with that on a Fenwick 8 1-/2 foot glass rod until I broke it, Took a huge woopin' from dad, then bought a Fenwick  9' blank and made my first rod.  Still have that rod and the Medalist reel.  

That Picture brought back a flood of memories.  Thank you.

Michael

Yes I learned on the 1494 and used it for a long time.

Have since bought several brands but I still like the Medalist.

I do like the 1495-1/2 for the extra room for backing and line.

Recently picked up a 1494-1/2 RC and a 1598 RC, just need to clean/lube em and put some line on.

You will have to take your rod and reel out for a day and bring back some more good memories.

#28 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

I see the blue mops but I didn't buy one. It's just not a bug color. So far I've caught fish on every other color so I don't think color matters all that much with a mop fly so I'm pretty sure blue would also be effective.

Fshng2, funny timing in your post. The other day I was getting my stuff ready for quick trip. As I'm getting my rods I see my abu Garcia rod paired with a mitchel 300 reel that I've owned for 40 years or so. It was the first rod I ever bought with money I earned from my first job as a dishwasher. I haven't touched it in over 20 years and I decided to take it out. I learned there's a reason it's been sitting untouched for years. I enjoyed the memory of the rod and reel far more than the performance. I should probably chuck it but back in the rack it went for another 20.

#29 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

Another Variant tied on a #5 Hook 4X long.
First pull several mops thru the holes they are in.
Cut to desired length to make a longer mop fly as long as you want.
Attached File  2017-09-17 13.07.51.jpg   691.49KB   0 downloads

Long Mop Bugger
qq08Mr2.jpg

#30 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

Fshng2, funny timing in your post. The other day I was getting my stuff ready for quick trip. As I'm getting my rods I see my abu Garcia rod paired with a mitchel 300 reel that I've owned for 40 years or so. It was the first rod I ever bought with money I earned from my first job as a dishwasher. I haven't touched it in over 20 years and I decided to take it out. I learned there's a reason it's been sitting untouched for years. I enjoyed the memory of the rod and reel far more than the performance. I should probably chuck it but back in the rack it went for another 20.

I had a 300 Mitchell and Fenwick rod that I used alot in the 60's, they were great reels.
Lots of good memories.