Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dropper Fly?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Stoneflylama72

Stoneflylama72

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

I use this knot to attach my dropper to the hook bend of the leading fly. Easy on, easy off.

That loop knot looks like it might be good to attach dropper to tippet/leader just above the eye of the top fly as well as to bend of hooks.

#32 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Never tried that but no doubt it will work. It's a tight knot that will only release when the tag is pulled.

#33 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

I use one dropper on occasion.  Usually in slow water or lakes.  If it gets tangled up too frequently I'll usually cut the dropper off and go back to one fly.

#34 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

J8k if you use the loop and lock you can just remove the dropper. It's easy on easy off and you can put it on and off as many times as you like.

#35 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thanks, I will have to give that a try sometime.  So far, I enjoyed using an extra long tag at the tippet knot the best.  And if I need to add one in a jiffy, and I mean a jiffy, I just tie a fly to a length of tippet that is appropriate then a simple knot in between knots on the leader.  It can slide around, but usually hangs out by the lower knot.